RX40 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/03/2010 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ibanez: RX40
 7.5
 6,707
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
RX40 Reviewed by: Snowman388, on june 03, 2010

Purchased from: A gift from my friend

Features: My guitar was made in Korea, about 10 years ago. It has 22 medium frets, and is a Stratocaster model. Basswood body, Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard. Red finish with a white pickguard. Tremolo bridge, one volume and one tone knob and 5-way selector. Two single-coil pickups and one bridge humbucker. Non-locking tuners. // 8

Sound: I play metal, classic metal and hard rock (occasionally). This guitar is perfect for that. It sounds great in overdrive/distortion. It lacks in clean, but I don't usually play in that. For a beginner's guitar, this is the perfect shredder guitar. I use it with a Laney LX-12, which doesn't add much color to the sound so I can hear it as it sounds. And it's great. I don't experiment with pedals or sounds, I just stick with the basics, as it is a beginner guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, it was set up perfect. No flaws that I have found over the past 7 years. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a f**king beating. It is over 10 years old, and only this year began to show any signs of age. I've recently moved into a tiny apartment, so I have bumped my guitar into the walls/tables/chairs a lot. The finish is starting to chip in certain places, but this is relatively new. The hardware lasts, I can tell you that. The strap buttons have held for a long time. Very dependable guitar, I would gig without a backup but i'm not stupid. The pickguard protects the finish well, and the rest of the guitar is pretty sturdy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal (including classic) and hard rock. If you are beginning, this is the guitar you want for that style. I have been playing for 7 years, although I only recently began playing seriously (and metal, for that matter). By now, I am too experienced for this guitar, so if I lost it I would probably buy a better one. But, this guitar is still worthy after 7 years of playing and 10 years of being played. I love it's heavy distortion, but it lacks when in clean. I wish it had a Floyd Rose bridge, but don't we all? // 8

Comments