S1520 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S1520

Purchased from: EBay

This suit's my style rather well, I play mostly metal and classical-style guitar. The guitar's extremely resonant due to quality woods, and the hollow intonation cavity. Everyone with any common sense or awareness in regards to guitars knows that Ibanez are the best-built, mass-distributed guitars for. Virtually any style, especially at their price. If you paid 3 times as much as this cost when it was originally bought for a Gibson, you'd still get an inferior guitar. I play through a few multi-effects processors, and various effects looped in, to a digital power amp intended for movie theater surround sound, to multiple JBL Studio monitors. The guitar always sounds as good as it possibly could, as long as the player is worthy. For the most part, it's tone is suprisely high-end for mahogany (high frequency, that is). It's well rounded as far as EQ goes, but it is on the higher end, it's designed for metal. Pinch harmonics ring out due to this. As I said, pinch harmonics are a breeze, partially due to my bridge pickup. The neck pickup is, of course, bassier and duller, but it definitely sounds excellent as well. The Lo-Pro Edge is probably the best sustaining Floyd Rose trem, if not the zero resistance trem's they've been making. But the ZR trem's function as a vibrato is definitely not as nice. Overall this guitar sounds excellent. I've actually never found a better one in a store, ever, especially for metal. Don't get me wrong though, this thing sounds excellent either way. It's just not a fat-neck resonator, or puny little Fender. So it can't emulate those sounds.

I mostly play Metal/classical style guitar, this thing is absolutely immaculate for my playing style. I would want it to be 24 fret, but. Somehow I've found it to be more comfortable playing on a 22, and I rarely find myself wishing there were two extra frets. I've been playing guitar at least 8 hours a day for the last year and a half semi-professionally. Before that I'd only tinkered with guitar for a short while as a child. I've played extensively on a Gibson Explorer, a lot of Les Pauls, a few Fender-styled guitars. They all suck by comparison. Very badly. When I played on my first Ibanez, I literally felt as if I had orgasmed. I've never found any guitar comparable to that of finer Ibanez guitars. Or even the cheap ones for that matter. I do not regret owning this guitar in any way at all, I will never sell it. If it were to be stolen, it wouldn't be easily replaced, and I would murder whoever did it. I'd at least castrate someone who thought about it. I will reiterate, it's difficult to compare this guitar to other guitars, the only ones I consider to be comparable are other Ibanez's. Jacksons are trash, Gibsons = trash, Schecter. Trash, ESP = trash, I think it goes without saying that Fenders are trash. I played a fernandez that was moderately nice once. My friend's 80's Kramer is almost as nice, but it's trem, headstock angle, and frets don't quite cut it. That says alot, given that his Kramer was essentially the definitive metal guitar during a period of time when metal guitars were actually really popular. If you find one of these guitars on EBay, floating around, and it's not damaged, and you like owning excellent-sounding guitars. I'd suggest you jump on it. I'm glad I did.

I'd say it's very durable. But it IS any s-series, so it's very thin. I feel like I could easily break it, but it's sustained zero-wear and tear after me totting it all around town to play with various people/groups. Nothing on it seems to be getting damaged. No rust, no warping, no cracks, finish is still virtually perfect on the front. I'd use it in a gig without a backup. In fact, I can barely stand to play on my backup, cause this thing's so nice.

The lo-pro edge on it actually sit's a little higher than I'm used to. As in the area it's affixed to is slightly higher than I used to like. Now I've actually come to appreciate it. It allows me to loosen the strings by loosening the intonation plate, which creates better sustain, and more exaggerative bends. It feels like my Jackson did when the trem was completely loosened. Which is good, cause it was a stiff little bastard. The pickups that came with it were the best stock pickups I've ever heard... But they were still trash. They sounded about like an EMG 81/85. Which is by slightly too weak for my taste. I wouldn't say there are any flaws with this guitar, after I've rewired it. However, due to the fact that my bridge pickup is a double humbucker and not a normal humbucker, the 5th selector Switch position is now a ground. ie, it's essentially a killswitch that isn't very fun to use. I don't mind that at all though, I can still get series bridge, series neck, series both, parallel both. I wouldn't want any other path arrangements. Did I mention that it looks beautiful? No dots on the frets, man that's nice looking, lol.

Made in 2000, at the Fujigen, Japan shop. 22 Frets, original wizard neck, cream'ish colored vinyl bindings on the neck only, Rosewood fingerboard 3 piece maple/bubinga neck, Jumbo frets. It's a mahogany body, with a bubinga top. It's a lightly stained bubinga top, with transparent finish. The body style is of course the S-series body style. The bridge is a Ibanez-licensed Floyd Rose Lo-Pro Edge tremolo system (in my opinion the finest they've ever made. Err I've ever played) It had passive Quantum 1 & 2 pickups in it, but those weren't quite nice enough. So I installed a much hotter Kramer quad-rail knock off in the bridge, and a Bill Lawrence XL500 Bridge pup in the neck position. Standard volume knob/tone knob, 5 way selector, running in series and one parallel setting. The pickup topography is H-H, two humbuckers. The tuners are very nice, I think they may be gotoh, but it has a locking nut. I got the case with it, the tremelo, aaaaaand. That was it. No tools, etc. (EBay)

Tyler Durden
    sorry for the 3rd post, but this just erks me you seem quite happy with your ESP LTD 200 series Viper in your profile...while you also have a Jackson listed in your gear...hummmmm thought they were trash?
    Dallinisrad
    When I played on my first Ibanez, I literally felt as if I had orgasmed.
    Literally?! u might wanna get that checked out...
    atreyufancurse
    im as much of a fan of ibanez as the next guy, but there is absolutely NO WAY anybody can take that review seriously! you can't just put down brands that randy rhoads, kirk hammet, synyster gates, and countless legends have used because you're some lame ass unsuccessful guitar player that got his hands on a good guitar!
    _foo fighter_
    Ibanez may be a better value, but only in some cases... Besides, Jackson, Gibson AND Fender all eat Ibanez for breakfast. Why would so many people play these brands if they sucked??
    Led Hed Lefty
    dude its not about who makes it or this sucks because its made by so and so.....its about if the guitar sounds good or not....you cant say gibson and fender and jackson suck because every guitar is different and you havnt played every guitar those companies ever made....companies dont make guitars sound bad, people with opinions do...your self centered doosh-ee-ness to well respected companies has made you a brand groupie and nobody likes those
    born-chaos
    You are the most arrogant nob I've ever had the misfortune of reading a review by. Lawl at your stupidity, and 2 Thumbs up at Tyler's Pwnage. If this guitar was so perfect, why'd you rip out the hardware and put yours in. Its just an Ibanez body. You have posted such a subjective review of this guitar and its lovely to see the UG community rallying against you.
    Bonorly
    Well I'll just trump you all and say PRS FTW! I'm lookin at an Ibanez for my next guitar to really bring out my metal lead but your review just bollocksed the chances of me ever buying this guitar. Go get some educations and learn to review properly before you clog the internets with this junk.
    prevenge178
    Hey! don't mock schecter's guitars.
    prevenge178
    prevenge178 wrote: Tyler Durden wrote: and this one "I will reiterate, it's difficult to compare this guitar to other guitars, the only ones I consider to be comparable are other Ibanez's. Jacksons are trash, Gibsons = trash, Schecter. Trash, ESP = trash, I think it goes without saying that Fenders are trash." its fair to have an opinion, but when you make outlandish comments such as this, you display your own ignorance or you work for Ibanez. Im glad you like your guitar but to say some of the top brands that have been around for years are trash, you completely discredit your review. Hey! don't mock schecter's guitars.
    srry dude reviewed the wrong comment
    ratlr
    this review sucked and you're a too-full-of-yourself-prick. on your page on ug u named yourself as one of your fave guitarists. wth? get a life and play a prs.
    jean_genie
    You'd think if he was so worried about avoiding the 'big-name rip-offs' (my words, not his), he'd go for something smaller. Ibanez is a huge name, and even has their own 'type' of players, like Gretsch and ESP. I notice I don't see too many Godin, Cort, or Brian Moore reviews here.
    K!nj!
    -"Bill Lawrence XL500 Bridge pup in the neck position." dude I don't think that makes much sense. -"They sounded about like an EMG 81/85. Which is by slightly too weak for my taste. I wouldn't say there are any flaws with this guitar, after I've rewired it" neither does this and all the rest you said... You just can't come over here and bash all those top guitar brands,that's called being a d*ck.
    TheConjuration
    Wow, this review is horrible. I love the fact that you adore this guitar, but only AFTER you hotrod it...
    stratomaster123
    Gibsons and Fenders are trash? Last time I checked they were pretty damn good...Do you stop and listen to yourelf talk sometimes? WTF
    ahigs
    Mesa4life wrote: been playin for nine years. I gotta say that my s1270 prestige is my go to guitar. Not a big fan of trashing other brands but schecter guitars just don't have that bite you get from an ibanez. Gibsons are amazing as well. It all just depends on your style of music and what's comfortable for you. But man I gotta tell you the s prestige and mesa triple Rec is a match made in heaven(well technically hell, haha). As far as jacksons go, they rip off ibanez designs way too much and they are cheaply made and can't handle that much.... But to all you trashing ibanez saying no talented guitarist use them then you better check again. I mean come on, Steve vai, Paul Gilbert, joe satriani and a ton more.... Enough said
    this should eb a review. fair, balanced, and emotionally stable and intact. unlike you, mr minstrelcycle85. this review contains juxtaposition that i think confuses all of us UGers. poor form. >:X
    GenerationKILL
    Hes right about one thing. Ibanez guitars are the most bang for your buck, especially compared to Jacksons (since fender took over) and LTD. If you're willing to pay the price ESPs (yes, I know LTD is a subsidiary) are also worth every penny. Gibsons aren't really my style, I dislike the shapes of most gibson necks compared to a nice ibanez wizard, but this is all subjective due to my playing style. I'm looking to get an S series guitar. I did not find this review very helpful. I want an S series because I like how light they are for playing standing up. (I cannot afford an awesome parker fly, lol.)
    yaxow
    alright clearly everybody hates this guy so i dont need to say much. ....what a douche
    Necrotise
    To the reviewer: You have proven very clearly through various statements in that review that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to guitar brands. You seem to be unaturally biased towards Ibanez to the point where it makes you look foolish and ignorant, either that or you work for Ibanez as Tyler said. But either way how can anyone trust this review if you are that biased - hence the review is useless to anyone looking for a fair and balanced review.
    octopec
    How do you kill that...which has no life? Come on guys, we have to take his "all the major brands are trash" talk seriously; after all, the guy has played for eight hours a day, every day, for a year and a half.....
    shroomhound
    pretty funny review. it reads like commie dave wrote it or something. "nnn! thats shit. not that i've heard it, or even heard of it but it has to be shit because its not black metal." that sort of thing. to make such broad sweeping statements about how non-ibanez guitars are all s h i t just makes me laugh and want to kill you for being so retarded. i have a couple of ibanez and they are f u ck in awesome but my fender, esp and jackson are just as good for different sounds. anyway, you are a communist so go listen to mortician and cry in your dark room amidst a haze of bong smoke.
    Meemat
    As everyone's said, this is entirely too biased for anyone to take seriously; it's just a page-long masturbatory enumeration of why you feel you should shit all over everyone else's gear preferences.
    damirault
    huevos
    sw1ss023 wrote: nileflows wrote: your opinions are biased. and you talk like a child. This. How can you say that all those other guitar brands that so many famous guitarists use and trust, are trash, when they are American made, and been around for (i think fender has been around about 60 years?)
    Just because it's American made doesn't make it good. Nowadays, it usually means the opposite. Tonal preference is just that, an opinion, so I'll give you that much. But this guy is way too much of a fanboy. He gives Ibanez a bad name.
    damirault wrote: I prefer Ibanez guitars myself but I wouldn't go as far as saying all other brands are trash... I don't like to play most Gibsons or Fenders but that's just my preference - countless people play them and love them. As for Jackson and Schecter, they make guitars comparable to Ibanezes... Sounds like you played an Ibanez and liked it, and instantly figured it was the best without comparing it to similar guitars from other companies.
    I'm kinda in the same boat, but I think ESP/LTD are the kings of metal guitars imo. Jackson and Schecter are good, but they don't do it for me.
    teh_ownerer
    espplayer400 : this review makes me want to flip cars transformers style
    I just lol'd.
    Mesa4life
    H_ngm_n
    I mean if I owned an S Series I would be pretty stoked but this guy... He is on a whole different level of happiness and hates all other guitars. Or you could learn to write a review, not a biased bunch of trash.
    ratlr
    its great how all the ug community is up in arms over this review. i love how minstrelcycle(wth does this mean)has gone radiosilent and stopped talking out of his ahole. maybe we bruised his delicate sensibilities
    Tominator_1991
    haha...the trem sits a little high and i replaced all the hardware BUT I'LL GIVE IT A TEN ANYWAY give this man an award....
    SilverSpurs616
    A lot of valid points from the above comments. Needless to say, I didn't find the review helpful.
    sw1ss023
    nileflows wrote: your opinions are biased. and you talk like a child.
    enselmis
    just to point out, alot of people play ibanez as well, it all comes down to taste. I play an S and it's a damn nice guitar, but there are lots of other brands that make great stuff as well, this person obviously is pretty biased, but it's still a great guitar.
    Echoplex
    Tyler Durden wrote: "I've played extensively on a Gibson Explorer, a lot of Les Pauls, a few Fender-styled guitars. They all suck by comparison. Very badly. " you just discredited your review with this statement
    Well, Ibanez is definantly a much better value, so this part of the review is not discrediting.