S320 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S320

Purchased from: musiciansfriend

I play mostly metal and thrash with my band, but I study and play jazz, blues and folk rock/classical rock on my own personal time. I use an Orange Tiny Terror head and another small Orange combo amp, I use it mostly with my modded Boss ds-1 and the original DOD preamp overdrive as a booster, and sometimes a Zoom G2.1u multieffects. the bridge setting is great for rock rhythm and a little shred but tends to get a bit muddy, that's why I replaced my bridge pup with Seymour Duncan sh-4 JB. the neck pickup is very good for sweeping, and Ultra fast picking (clear notes), it's OKAY for blues and jazz, I prefer a single coil guitar for that. with the right pickups, this guitar can sound from mean and brutal to soft and dynamic, anything.

this is perfect for metal and rock (except for the 22 frets) okay for blues and jazz. this is my 2nd electric guitar the other one is a Washburn xseries guitar. the best things on this guitar are the neck, the ZR bridge, and the looks (sexy black) if I lost this, I'd save up for a higher s series model with 24 frets. I was choosing between this and an RG370DX, I chose this because of the zr trem and the overall feel. I wish the guitar had 24 frets. but overall, great guitar with the right pickups and a few minor adjustments.

I have gigged with it a few times now and I play it almost everyday. everything seems sturdy, I guess time will tell if this is a quality model. I replaced my strap buttons into Dunlop straploks (the buttons were small) I'd definitely use this without a backup, except of course if I'd have to play songs with a different tunings (tuning takes time, as with most double locking system based axes)

the action on this guitar is great, pickups needed to be adjusted, and later replaced. the pickup selector is a bit noisy and annoying on stage, mine came with a few dents and scratches on the body, and the trem bar holder was loose, which was very annoying but is now resolved (I had to re set up the whole bridge because I removed the whole thing to tighten loose nut on the back that bites the trem bar holder). bad quality control for a great guitar.

This fine guitar has 22 frets (I wish it had 24) of 3pc maple with rosewood fretboard, very slim (sexy as hell) mahogany body with open pore finish. many people don't like the open pore finish, but I do because it emphasizes the contrast of the metallic components (the bridge, pup frames, knobs) and the natural wood look, which is beautiful. it has the ZR bridge, trademark of the s series, never goes out of tune. two passive humbuckers (Ibanez infs), very responsive, balanced and noiseless, although a little weak. the tone and volume knobs are very responsive.

spaterman
    I played it, the pickups were actually surprisingly good! better than most stock guitar pickups. Yet I'm still switching to dimarzio's
    XzZFakaplusZzX
    I get this guitar about 1 year ago and it awesome! I can play all the type of music I like (Metallica, Led Zeppelin, etc ) with a great sound!
    fenderarmy
    I just bought mine off of a guy I met for $350. It has a DiMarzio MoJoe pickup and straploks! Greatest deal of all life.
    Novfanaion
    I recently purchased this guitar, and it is amazing. I love the weathered body because it hides all those little scratches, and fingerprints are nowhere to be found. The neck is ultra thin and really quite fast. Stock pickups are alright, and hopefully I'll get some new ones in the near future. Again, this ax is awesome and I recommend it to everyone into metal and rock.
    sammo_boi
    the ZR trem makes it way more reliable than all those RG edge III pieces of crap
    GunLeatherGuy
    You can tune any guitar to Dropped tuning...with a floyd style/double locking tremolo Id recommend having a tech show you first.....you can really screw it up and have to take it to one to get it fixed anyway. Ive got this guitar.....as well as RGT's, Xiphos and Prestige models and this is almost as good as those....Almost! Damn Close.