S320 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Ibanez: S320

Purchased from: Digital Village

I mainly play metal, the heavier stuff and it done the job it must be said. It could play evil chuggy riffs in Bflat and nice little solo licks. I used a variety of amps with this guitar my only consistance is Boss HM2 Pedal and I believe this guitar could fit to pretty much anything you give with it and still sound good. But! If you wanna hold notes forget it...even after raising the action, putting some EMG's in it running it through a beautiful Vox amp the sustain was terrible. Huge dissappointment. Even acoustically the sustain on this guitar was non exsistant. Great sound otherwise shame really.

I can say, aside from it's flaws this is a good guitar. Yet because thats stupid I'm gonna say if your interested play it before you buy because I regret not putting my money somewhere else. Iv just ordered a 7 String Schecter now though xD. I love the comfort and the playabilty of this guitar truely it's effortless. Iv hated the ZR tremelo system and locking system and that useless sustain... My favorite feature it the fingerboard looks great feels great and the guitar lets you get good fret access all over.

I haven't done gigging with this but I can confidently say it wouldn't be smart to use without back up. I found that it lost its tuning way too much and it just don't feel as solid as many other guitars, the cost of it being so light and comfortable. Iv had quite a few issues with the locking tuning (it not locking) and despite taking fairly good care Iv felt the whole tuning system and tremelo bridge to be a massive let down, so much so that Iv been put of the idea of getting a guitar with a similar systems again.

Fresh out of the factory this thing was playable, going back to what I said about being able to play this guitar with any setup it could come out the factory setup badly and still feel more comfortable than most, if your looking for a guitar with good action and finish you have to set it the way you like it anyway. Sadly I found that nice body a bit too easy to carve up, I mean, I dropped my phone on it accidently and it went straight through the top layer of wood and left a pretty hefty chip. As for little scatches though, you have to go looking for them to see them on this finish, no fingerprints either. Pick ups could do with changing and the jack hole is a bit dodgy, I find you need to use a bit of force sometimes to get it in the hole, not really a problem, and also quite amusing if you have a dirty mind.. If your looking to do Dime sequels you will be dissappointed, you simply can't move the bridge enough to really get the crazy harmonic sequels, again though not really a big deal just a little annoying.

Everyone above has got all the features so no need to repeat really. I very much like the finish on this guitar, Basswood body does make it beautifully light, this and the guitars nice thin body and neck means it's so so comfortable. Goodlooking guitar, the finish on the body mixing with what I see as a dirty looking chrome hardware it's just got a subtle look about it, don't need radical designs when simplicity can look this good. Howvever I'm gonna mark this section down a bit because the hardware in terms of playing not looking didn't cut it.

vjh
    hitpeace wrote: Does it take a long time to tune from standard to drop D using this guitar.
    when you set up the tuning (before locking the nut) make sure your fine tuner is all the way down (or tightest to the bridge. then when you lock the nut all you have to do is loosen then fine tuner till you in D and the rest of the strings will stay in tune.