S320 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S320

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Fleet Sound

My music style has changed over the last few years and I have only used this guitar. When I first started using this guitar I was playing in drop b tuning (I'm sorry) and everything sounded clear (as clear as drop b can sound). I've heard (might not be true) that the guitars Protest the Hero used (Luke Hoskin at least) on Fortress contained the original stock Ibanez pickups, and its easy to see why. The pickups are very bright and can be almost difficult at times to soften up. I switched to using mostly open tunings and this guitar can still produce acceptable sounds. I little less twangy then what I would prefer at times, but the comfort makes up for that. I Use this guitar through a Crate FW120 HS (review in a review - Crate FW120 HS = 3/10) and when using the high gain channel and a WH-4 you can get almost exact "icky thump" tone (Jack white claims to use a plastic guitar. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing for this review) I do get feedback when turned up loud on the high gain channel, but I'm standing right beside the amp (so don't do that/own a FW120HS). Overall this should be used for heavyer or higher gain music, but it will suit just about anything (I wouldn't suggest bluegrass)

I use this guitar to jam with my friends at parties playing mostly classic rock. Its really a nice fit because its EXTREMELY comfotable. I can't stress that enough. I will soon be in my fourth year with this guitar and if it were stolen I probably wouldn't go with this paticular model, but I would no doubt 100% buy another Ibanez S. The finish and rusting and brightness of the pickups can be an issue, but for $550 CDN (new, when it came out) this guitar is perfect. If your a begginer who is looking for a new guitar but you didn't recently become the Monopoly guy, then I highly suggest this guitar. Personaly I am refinishing mine to be white with a black binding, clear coated, and covering the pickups. If I can maintain the hardware, this might be my kids first guitar.

I've used this guitar multiple times without a backup ever. Thats becasue I am not David Gilmour I only have this and the first guitar I ever bought. It still works perfectly, so I would definately suggest this to live players. I do have a concern about the hardware though. I sweat a disgusting amount and the hardware is beggining to rust in places (this is my 3rd year with the guitar). It can be polished up but if you want a guitar that will "age" well, I would not suggest this one. What really surprised me the most was how well the finish holds up. The "weathered black" is basicly black paint with grain etched in. I assumed that this would chip and peel after not long (even when playing humid nights outside/dry days in the sun/getting beer poured on it) but it was resilient. I put straplocks on this guitar shortly after buying it, so I'm afraid I cannot speak for those as I can't remember what the stock ones even looked like. Overall its been my guitar for 3 years and I use it for everything and it has yet to fail me (it even fell off a stage. Maybe while I was playing it maybe not but thats not important)

From the factory the guitar was perfect minus the action. I like low action so really its not the factories fault. Other than adjusting the action to personal prefrence, this guitar came right out of the box ready to go. Nothing wrong with the pickups, and certainly no flaws in the paint (although, the finish is desgined to look and used, so they could have made mistakes and no one would know) Overall a good experence.

First review and I'm not a professional. Just saying. This guitar also didn't cost me $2000, so if you equate that with quality, this this guitar is junk I guess. I'm reviewing it based on its class. Please keep that in mind. Specs: Model year:2007 22 jumbo frets, Rosewood fretboard Mahogany Body, Maple neck "Weathered Black" finish Ibanez "zero point" Bridge Passive Ibanez INF1 and INF2 Humbuckers (2) One volume, Two tone knobs Stock tuners with locking nut. I bought this guitar becasue the body of the "s" series is VERY comfortable to play with. Seriously its like you now have six strings attached to a snuggie or a cup of cocoa by the fire. Like that weird feeling when you put new socks on right out of the bag. THAT comfy. This guitar is also very light. 8 pounds to be exact. So if women can carry children around all the time until birth, you can gig with this guitar until last call.