S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: Firehouse

My general style is AC/DC/Led Zeppelin classic rock. I wouldn't recommend this guitar for classic rock music though, because you can probably find much better for about the same price. It will do classic rock, though, and quite nicely too. I'm usually skipping from classic rock to hard rock to grunge, and this guitar will satisfy you in every category. This guitar is probably for you jack-of-all-trade guitarists who play a wide variety of music. The acoustic sound could be better (not that its bad, just like most Ibanez guitars) but I like the Gibson model acoustic sound better. It's awesome with distortion and leaves little to be desired.

This pretty much matches my style of music. I've been playing for a long time now, and this is pretty much my favorite guitar. The best thing about it is how thin the body is, it's extremely nice to have a guitar so slender. I recommend this guitar to anyone who's interested in music that's distorted, or music that doesn't involve PERFECT acoustic tone. Like I said, it has great acoustic ability, just not the best. I hook this up to a DigiTech RP200 effect pedal, and the two combined are heavenly. I compared this one to a Gibson, and I just couldn't get over how flexible the sound of this guitar was. The only real flaw (as I have mentioned many times in this review) is the middle single coil pickup (just lower it and it will be fine). If it were stolen or lost, I would by it back again in a heartbeat.

Ok, this is where this guitar shines. This guitar will withstand constant live playing, the strap buttons are solid (so no dropping your guitar on stage :P), and it is entirely dependable. I would go to any gig without a doubt in my mind that this guitar couldn't handle it. The ratings can't go high enough, this is a very perfect guitar for live playing. What can I say?

This is going to be short. There was nothing wrong with the guitar when I bought it and there is nothing wrong with it now.

This is a 2003 S470 from Ibanez. It has a smooth top that won't leave fingerprints, so you won't have to polish it much. This guitar includes locks and a whammie bar, so it won't go out of tune. It has 2 humbuckers and one single coil pickup, which gets in the way a little when palm muting. That is probably the only downside to this guitar. It has an extremely thin body, neck, and has jumbo frets for easy chord/solo playing. It has 22 frets and the indication marks that show which fret you're playing make it a bit more stylish. Also, it's light, so your shoulder/neck area won't get sore after playing it for long periods of time. The strings are a good distance away from the neck which makes for easy bending/vibrato. Overall, aside from the palm muting problem which I got used to the first week anyways, this is an excellent guitar for a large variety of music.