S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: Distributor

When I was deciding on getting either this or a SZ520, I tried both. The SZ sounded kinda bland to me, and not quite complete. The S was the exact opposite, it sparkles when played clean. Growls when in overdrive and bites when distorted. I currently play the guitar with a Roland Cube 30, it sounds really good. I can get a '60s-esque sound like The Who and Hendrix, a sound that would remind a person of John Petrucci and all in between. Even sounds good unplugged! The sound is deep sounding, since the body is Mahogany. Sounds like a big heavy guitar but isn't! The neck and bridge humbuckers (INF1 and INF2) sound good but the middle single coil (INFS1) is kinda noisy. All of them sound good clean, and really good distorted. From time to time, I wonder how it would sound with newer pickups but the stock pickups are good enough for recording, with the only exception of the single coil alone with a noise gate.

The music I play, is in a large range. I play from classic rock to metal and it handles it all well. The guitar can do anything, just with some EQ'ing on the amp and it's good to go. The trem is really something. Pulling it up and pushing it down, it doesn't detune easily and is really smooth. They call it Zero Resistance for a reason. The guitar's mahogany body makes it sound like a big and heavy guitar, but it's really light. If a guitar that you treasured was stolen from you, I can imagine what you would do with that person to get back. If I were to buy the product again, not knowing what it came with: I would ask if it came with a case and a demo on how to restring and tune a Floyd Rose guitar, the first time is generally the most frustrating. The case wasn't so much of a big deal for me since I had a gigbag already, and I'm not going to bring more than one guitar with me at a time. Don't let these two things let you not try the guitar. Just be advised that there is no case. Most importantly, try the guitar before buying.

Is this guitar dependable? Oh hell yes. The guitar needs to shown considerable amount of force for it to be damaged. Like most moderately good to high end guitars, it's meant to be played live and last a long time. If I were gigging, I would definately use it without a backup. The strap buttons are installed really well. When I have it on with a strap, it feels solid. Without any modifications, messing around and decent care, it would last a really long time. Definately road worthy.

I got my guitar straight from the distributor, which was pretty lucky. So, when I got the guitar, it was the same way that the store would receive them, so there's no modification what so ever. The action is really low, not low where it buzzes but a sweetspot low. Perfect for shredding. The guitar was received with zero scratches, dents or dings. Although one thing I had seen was that the guitar's frets were not all polished, and seem as if they could use a filing. Electronics wise, the wiring's flawless: the pots don't crackle nor does the Switch and there's no interferance except from the single coil (which is a given). The tuning pegs are very smooth. I had overtuned the guitar several times by mistake because I wasn't used to tuning pegs that smooth as opposed to my acoustic. The finish on the guitar, I love it. It's well-done, it's not like most finishes which are solid colors or translucent tops. Finish was flawless and is really hard. I have to give this section an 8 because of the frets. I got a lower end cheaper acoustic which had better dressed frets.

The Ibanez S470 is made in Korea. The neck is made of maple with a real nice Rosewood fretboard. It has 22 frets, with a very fast Wizard II neck profile, nice and slim. The body is Mahogany, in your typical Superstrat shape but when I picked it up, it seemed alot smaller and thinner than it was on the shelf. Mine is in a powder blue finish, I personally like it over the boring black finish. The wiring is 1 Tone/1 Volume pot and 3 pickups (INF1, INFS1 single, INF2). It has Ibanez's Zero Resistance floyd rose. There is documentation on how to properly restring the bridge, to adjust it for string gauge changes and how to lock the nut accordingly. Kudos to Ibanez for that. It came with a semi-long cable, documentation and a few Allan keys for tuning and whatnot. My only beef though, is that they didn't give any sort of case or bag just a box as opposed to my friend's Godin Freeway Classic.