S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: SuperPawn

The sound from this guitar is amazingly versatile. I've been told that it doesn't have the most excellent clean sound, and that is about right, but it certainly isn't anything to be disappointed of, it's still pretty good. The distortion is plenty rough when you want it to be and just the variety of sounds possible out of it is great. I play a pretty diverse set of music and so I was looking for a guitar that could satisfy all those genres and this one fit it perfectly. I'm not sure how it would do with better pickups, the current ones are just the stock kind, but I'm fine enough with the ones now that I don't feel like going through having to replace them. The whammy bar on this guitar works just as it should and the locking nuts help to keep it in tune as well. Yes, tuning can be slightly more time-consuming with the locking nuts, but if you're going to use the tremolo at all, it helps a ton.

Overall I'd recommend this guitar to just about anyone in a heartbeat. It suits my style perfectly, which is pretty diverse, and so it should do well enough for most other people like me. And though there might be more specialized guitars that would do better for more focused players, for the price and versatility, I would find it very hard to find a guitar to beat it. I love it, fantastic guitar.

Well I haven't had much of a chance to test it yet, and I don't really intend to anyway, but from what I've seen of it, it should be able to withstand most anything you can dish out. The finish doesn't scratch very easily at all and I could trust it to stay that way. The strap buttons are solid and none of the rest of the hardware is loose or feels dodgy. I would definitely trust it to live playing and though it's always better to be on the safe side, it could also probably be relied upon without a backup.

Well to start, as I said, this guitar was used and from an online pawn store, so I didn't expect much from it when it got here. I got what I expected pretty much, but in some cases it came in better than I'd prepared for. The strings were cut and the bridge was missing several screws, but those were relatively short fixes. It took me two hours to finish setting up the guitar on my own and it only suffered from some minor functional problems before I fixed it, though now there's only a few little annoying things on it: the tone pot is a little noisy when moving it, and occasionally about 2/5 of the Switch positions are a little crackly when you Switch into and out of them. Cosmetically the finish is nearly perfect, even when they said it might have insignificant scratches on it and such, it came just fine. The finish doesn't scratch very easily at all and I could trust it to stay that way. The strap buttons are solid and the rest of the action was fine pretty much.

My Ibanez S470 was bought used from SuperPawn, supposedly manufactured somewhere around 2002-2004. It's got a Floyd Rose tremolo (not the newer ZR) and AH1/AS1/AH2 pickups in HSH, controlled by a 5-way blade selector. 22 frets, 1 volume pot and 1 tone pot, and locking nuts. It's in a superstrat style with a double cutaway for easy access to the upper frets and its body is made out of mahogany, but is surprisingly light due to the thinness. Mine came in a midnight blue finish. From a pawn shop, so no accessories really, except there was supposed to be a third-party hard case included (didn't come), and SuperPawn has still to contact me back about this.