S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: boston roadhouse

This guitar is superb, it'll play absolutley anything you through at it, the single coil is really cutting and great for blues, the neck humbucker is great for squealy pinched divebombs and Vai/Gilbert style soloing, and the bridge humbucker gives a real meaty rythm section. I'm running it through an RP50 effects pedal, it gives a really wide variety of sounds, depending on the pickup.

I play anything from blues to metal, and this guitar meets me there. I have been playing just over a year. If this was stolen, I would definately buy another one in ice blue, shortly after shoving the thieves head up his own armpit. I love absolutely everything about it. My first guitar was an Encore Less Paul copy, which compared to this, wouldn't rate 1.

This guitar would stand world war three, so live playing comes easy to it. The hardware seems like it'll last longer than I will, as do the srap buttons. I would probably have a backup at a gig, due to the floyd rose tremolo, as if a string broke, I would be comletely buggered other wise. The finish is very good.

The action on this guitar was really good, the pickups were all just right, and the neck fit into the top like a glove. There were absolutly no flaws whatsoever I could find.

It was made in 2006 in korea, it has 22 frets with a very large chunky neck scale which I really like, but might not appeal to someone with smal hands, you have been warned! It is a solid top with a really nice satin orange paint job, that doesn't show fingerprints and will make you stand out from the crowd, so its great in my book. The body style is Superstrat, with an excellent floyd rose tremolo system. You get one volume and one tone control with a 5-way pickup selector. The pickups are in the H/S/H configuration and are all Ibanez pickups. The tuners are locking, no accesories except an allen key with it.

goldbuddist
    herman li uses this guitar....go to ibanezguitars.com and it shows what models ibanez artists use....it clearly says S470.....
    This_Kidd
    this guitar is perfect except for 1 thing. the inlays, whats up with them!!!!!
    last_biscuit
    Nope herman li has indeed used S470s, he said so in an interview with Total Guitar (ive forgotten the issue number)
    Iceman_x2
    Yeah he does he used one when i saw him play in Phili... Good guitar i got one and its my fav....
    party_on_wayne
    i own this, and its pretty good. very versatile, good stage axe, not THAT good for recording, but will work. i put a SD dimebucker int he bridge, which let all its toen shine through. good guitar, buy it
    party_on_wayne
    i own it. it's good, i love the light feel, the slim neck, but i hate bolt ons. im thinking im going to get an rgt6exfx (i think)....or a dean razorback , what the hell
    guitar extra
    plus, a while back these guitars were made in japan but there made in korea now, dont know whether to buy a jackson cos there made in japan,japanese guitars are supposed to be the best
    highway_star
    anyone struggling to find this for sale its because its being discontinued (a new model the S670 is coming out). So keep looking, you could get a great end of line bargain! The guy asking if you can change tuning (drop D?) without adjusting the trem system - wishful thinking my friend!
    CodeMonk
    I just bought one of these tonight (well, layaway, will pick it up next week). I spent well over 2 hours on the music store today. I have been to several others over the last few weeks (been looking around for new guitar for the last few weeks). This one had all the features I wanted. Had a Floyd Rose and some Dimarzio pickups. And it was the color I wanted. It felt perfect for me, neck is very nice, weight and feel are very comfortable.
    littlegrantyboy
    hey guys, im looking into buying a 2nd guitar and i was wonderin how this guitar would do with a Marshall TSL60 JCM2000 'cos iv got a Gibson SG Special too and i need something within my price range...should i get this?
    BlairC
    ok im looking into buying an S470 and i was wondering if you can switch the tuning of your guitar without having to re adjust the Zero Point system aka whammybar/Bridge evrytime?
    Gu!tarN00b
    Hey, is this guitar still available ? I can`t seem to find it on Zzounds of Musician`s Friend...
    Mahoru
    Maybe he palm mutes from under the strings, or something! lol
    High_o
    to the first guy, how does a pickup get in the way when palm muting?
    CustomCustom
    its a bolt on neck without a metal plate and rounded off to a contoured shape thats 90% like a neck-thru guitar. I was given a Prestige S1520 with older Edge LoPro trem Id ike to try a ZR out, but the lo pro is awesome as always. The first thing I noticed is playing the high E string above the 12th fret is heaven, the tone is so round and full without any "screechy" tones that afflicts so many Floyd guitars. The QM1 and QM2 pups are part of it Im sure, its tonally better than my US Hamer but the Hamer has a very trebly JB in the bridge which is coming out soon due to the overdose of treble.
    Mahoru
    In general, they are, except for American brands that also produce some models in Japan, like Fender or Jackson. But well... IMO the only American brand at the same level as Ibanez and ESP is PRS!!!