S470 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ibanez: S470

The neck pickup is okay, but I find it too muddy. It has a rich dark tone, great mid-bass response, but the mid-higs are cut off. The bridge pickup would be fine if it had no noise. The single coil mid pickup is completely useless, I find it too 'plucky'. It doesn't even try to sound acoustic, but like something inbetween the quack of a Stratocaster and the twang of the tele. positions 2 and 4 of the Switch offer great highs, at the expense of tone. Cannot be used clean, unless one adds a fattening effect such as the chorus. The sound is good, quite versatile. I play jazz, classic and experimental noise rock. The humbuckers have high resistance, resulting in tremendous output, but still lack the nerve needed for some metal genres. The bridge pickup also is very fenderish in tone, but fails to get an decent 30's jazz tone, unless one chooses to migle with his amp and fx quite a lot. Overall, I find the sound bright-and cristal-clear, but with a hint of warmness from the mahogany body. However, it could be fuller with a new set of pickups.

I'm giving this guitar a bad review since there are a lot of annoyances to it that make it owning a pain. It is nice to have it to play once or twice, but if you decide you want to buy one, go for the >1000$ ibanezes. The zps system is great, but the low-quality everything in this guitar will bring up your expenses through the roof. As a general advice, do not buy any floyd-rose type guitars less than 800$, unless you are certain it will withstand abuse (providing that you wish to do so, which is more than certain).

The hardware is low-quality. I have played it for an year, and at every one week, I have to adjust the nut that fixes the vibratio bar in the body. This is my biggest annoyance. Futhermore, the metal is not iron, it's a shiny crappy alloy, that has little resistance to tension, and I fear that in 3 or 4 months time I will dig a hole through it since the nuts n bolts are constantly decalibrating. The strap buttons are made from the same crappy metal, but I guess it's okay here, since there is no metal-metal contact. The ZR system is a marketing gimmick. If you want your guitar not to stay out of tune while a string breaks, you have to activate the ZR system which implies to reroute the springs on the back so that the tremolo cannot be used. Very intelligent, but I didn't pay the money for a fixed bridge guitar. At least the could've taken this out from the ads.

The action is set too low by defauilt, resulting in fret buzz and impossibility to do 1-tone bends over the 14th fret. The intonation is badly off the scale, and like any floating bridge guitar, it's cumbersome to set. Rising the bridge will solve the fret buzz, but will become quite annoying to play, since the pressure needed to push the strings will increase. I find this the most unpleasant aspect of this guitar. Furthermore, one will need to do a lot of other minor adjustments (to the vibratio system, btw I refuse to use the term 'tremolo') once he or she starts rasing the bridge. The finish is low-end and cheap, like most koreean made. My guitar is a metallic ice blue, and the colour is nothing like I've seen on the internet (it has a slight tint of green, making it a little cyan). The paint is quite thick, and it won't easily show scratches. However, I fear that the rich glossy lacquer used might cut off sustain. There aren't finish flaws that I'm aware of, but considering it's price range, one would expect that it could look better than any cheap 200$ guitar. Despite this, the unique S inlays are a plus aestetcally speaking.

2006 korean made, mahogany body, decent Ibanez infinity pickups, zero point resistance vibratio bridge (way better than the low-end edge). Came with a short 1, 5 m angled cable and 3 hexagonal wrenches. No gig bag, no other accesories. Nothing much to say here that wasn't said above.

Genghis_khan
    gandltribute : Riden115 wrote: **** this get a s520ex no 3 pickups is sooo mutch better than 2!!!!!
    Agree, I tried both (S520ex and S470) needless to say... I bought the S470 been playing it several months now no problems at all yet. Great guitar.
    Grenkutzu
    bradbradbrad wrote: Nope, he uses a S570.
    No he doesn't. It says so right on the Ibanez website.
    ralleymonkey
    This was my first really good guitar, i picked it up for a little 0ver $400. I absolutely love this guitar and everything about it. I have recently been upgrading it slowly now i have a Floyd Rose and seymour duncan pickups, and a new lock nut on the top of the neck and its insainly nice. The best part is the body is sooooo thin it plays beautifully. I would highly recoment this guitar to everyone!!!!
    tom?
    its a good guitar but i had to screw the singlecoil down a bit because it rattling against the bottom e when i hit it hard which was annoying