S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: Rockers

This guitar is seriously versatile. It can get an immense range of tones, everything from jazz to heavy metal. Unfortunately the pickups weren't really right for me though, so I took them out and put in some EMGs. With those babies in, you can do anything, sweet mellow stuff like Santana right up to Dimebag's longest squeals, it has great sustain. The neck position provides a very warm tone while the bridge has a higher output and gives a more crunchy, but doesn't sound so great on the clean channel. Pretty decent for stock pickups though.

I play mostly heavy metal but I'm branching out ino other areas like blues and jazz. The sound is a little thick for blues, but that's be expected with humbuckers. For other stuff, it's decent but with the EMGS it's amazing, they ar strongly recommended if you buy this guitar. I use an EMG 60 in the neck and an 81 in the bridge. Before buying I compared it with a couple of ESPs in the same price range but I found them to be far inferior, even the pickups. The EMG-ESP pickups don't hold a candle to the Ibanez infinity pickups, don't be fooled by the illusion of them being EMGs. I would probably buy this again if it was stolen but I might go for something with a fixed bridge and is a little less high maintenance.

I've had some serious problems with htis gutar, despite having only had it for a couple of months. The first is that the threads on the bolts in the nut got worn, and as such it won't stay in tune when the tremolo is abused like it normally does, so I need to have the nut saddle replaced. Secondly is that that fret wires higher up on some of the treble strings got tiny dents in them that cut the note off when you try and bend at any affected fret. Apparently this needs a fret dressing to take care of it. The tremolo arm doesn't sit that well in the hole, the thread isn't tight enough so it rattles slightly. however the finish is rock solid. I've given this guitar quite a beating and the finish hasn't even taken a scratch. I would confidentely use this for a gig without a backup, although it wouldn't be a great idea to play without one in any situation. The strap buttons are on there real tight and they aren't gonna come off any time, though I always use a strap lock.

The action was pretty difficult to adjust right. It would either be miles away from the fretboard or giving loads of fretbuzz, but got that sorted with a simple setup. The electronics worked perfectly, whoever did those did a great job, even if it was just a robot, kudos to the robot. The pickups were adjusted nicely but then that's really about preference and it's not difficult to change. However the plates around the humbuckers were oxidised pretty bad, I could change them but I think it looks pretty cool so I'm not really that bothered.

I'm not sure of the year but this guitar is Korean-made. It has 22 jumbo frets with 'S' shape fret markers on a rosewood fretboard. Mahgany body, which is pretty nice. The finish is 'Ice Blue' although to me it looks slightly green and is really sparkly. It has a Strat-style body but the body is a lot thinner than that of a start, making it comfortable and easy to play. This guiter features Ibanez' ZR tremolo system. This is a double-locking tremolo system with ball-bearing for extra stability. 5-way pickup selector with all passive (Ibanez infinity) H/S/H configuration.