S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: SoundControl

I play my S470 through a Laney LC50 Mark II all tube amplifier and due to it's pickup configuration (H-S-H) and 5 way selector I'm able to get a wide variety of tones. I play stuff from Megadeth to Pantera to Hendrix to Led Zeppelin (as well as some Red Hot Chili Peppers) and through my amp I can safetly say the S470 covers these tones without a shadow of a doubt. Also the whammy bar makes use for some fun Dimebag style tricks when you whack the Reverb on the amp up.

This is the guitar that has fuelled my Ibanez obsession. The craftsmanship, action, looks and playability are perfect, no complaints about it. I'm looking to buy an S series Prestige for the thru-neck and DiMarzio pickups which are the only downsides that the S470 has. I chose the Ibanez S470 over a Jackson JS30 Kelly and a Schecter C1-FR and I think I made the right choice.

As with all mid-range to high range Ibanez guitars, the S470 is solidly built. I've bought guitars before and when I got home I've had to adjust the action or the bridge but with the S470 I could play it as soon as I got home. It's withstanded the rigours of gigging however I would have a backup guitar due to the lengthy process of restringing a guitar with a double locking trem' system. The ZR trem system has withstood all the crazy abuse I throw at it and still manages to give smooth and effortless feel as well as staying in tune.

the action on the S470 is typically Ibanez, low which is useful for soloing and complicated licks, but generally the S470 was perfectly setup out of the box. I've had it a year and never had to retune once (except when changing strings). The finish on the body is stunning, it's Ice Blue which is kind of a sky blue colour but sparkles under light (not like the Daisy Rocks more like when light reflects off water). The finish, the inlays and the neck made me fall in love with the S470 as soon as I saw and played it.

My S470 is a 2006 model (made in Cort, Korea). Being a 2006 model it has the wave inlays (unlike the '07/08 models with oval inlays) on a 22 jumbo fret, 3 piece maple bolt-on Wizard II neck, the neck is what I love most about this guitar, it's satin finished so your hand glides up and down the neck. Also it's just the right thickness for my hands. The body is made of solid mahogany which provides a nice warm sounding tone perfect for hard rock/metal. The pickups are Ibanez Infinity (which I am intending to replace with DiMarzio's) and are in a H/S/H configuration with a 5 way spliter. This gives the S470 an array of tones perfect for any type of music that I play, usually classic rock through to thrash metal. The bridge is a ZR with a ZPS backstop, this bridge is one of the best double locking bridges on the market and unlike conventional double locking trem's uses ball bearings instead of a knife edge so the action of the trem is always smooth and effortless, the only downside is due to the thickness of the body, the trem cavity isn't routed very deeply (bear that in mind). The finish is Ice Blue, which I much prefer over the gloss black, as it doesn't look tacky, and shines in the sunlight.