S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Sounds great! It's the first axe I didn't feel the need to change the PU's on. It's still screaming away driven hard, with a modded Tube Screamer, through two Mesa Boogies. I see no need to upgrade my pickups. They sound perfect through these tube amps. I highly suggest trying Mesa Boogie's with them. They are hot and warm!

I like the pre-discontinued style myself. It has the low TRS trem II Floyd Rose, but still to this day will not detune one bit at all. No flat spots I've heard about or anything. I can hammer the hell out of the whammy and not a single string will budge, ever. The discontinuation was due to the gun metal cosmetics changing colors a tad over time, which hasn't bothered me, since they had sent me a new set before they changed them. Now, they're $250 - $550 guitars, apparently?! WTF?! What changed so drastically that made such a diff in cost?! That pisses me off because I paid closeer to $900 for mine! But then, I think it was made at a time when the S470 was made a bit stronger and heavy duty. I got it back toward the beginning of 2000, I believe. I put 10's on it, another spring trem spring, readjusted it and been playing every since. People have told me it's the lowest action they've ever felt, little to no fret rattle. I considered buying a new guitar once, for about 2 seconds...then the feeling went away. LOL I don't think I'll ever want another guitar.

It's still is my #1 axe and always will be, unless I have to hit someone with it or something. The hardware will last forever, in my opinion. I don't use a backup at all. I do depend on it entirely. The finish is good, but soft. Avoid banging it on anything, or you will end up with a nice little dent.

Factory setup was ok, as far as intonation, but they come with freaking 9's! Who the hell plays those tiny strings?! It sounded fuller and chunlier as soon as I changed them too! I have to give it an 8 on appearance, since that was what the recall was about, I guess. The gun metal tended to tarnish a bit after awhile, but Ibanez sent me a new set of pickup frames in no time, so it didn't bother me too much.

It's the first model, with the low trem II Floyd Rose, and the snake like curved pearl inset fret markers. It's not only a beautiful axe, but a very light and comfortable axe. I also put a locking strap on it immediately. I wanted no accidetal strap drops happening with my newest axe! I also bought the hardshell case. No guitar that spendy is going in a bag!

Gibson1983
    Ibanez breathes too much nu-metal for me, just not my cup of tea. Thanks for the reviews though!
    ST/-\LK3R
    I don't like it because it's too glossy. If you make a simple scratch, it'll stay there as long as she lives. Although it has good ratings for a cheap Ibanez. So it's pretty good for a rookie.
    Gunabitez
    Gunabitez
    Gunabitez wrote: I have prestige edition of this guitar, its great in looks but need a lotta upgrade in performance, especially its harmonics!
    Its Japan craft though
    Riggy
    I personally own one of these guitars, it's my main axe (Used over my RG, SA and Tele) swapped the bridge humbucker out for an EMG51 (iirc) and it's out of this world - the ZR alone makes it worth buying imo. The only issue I have, is with the ZR's backstop, while it provides awesome tuning stability with even the most extreme of whammy use, it doesn't allow much in the way of pitch changes when pulling back, maybe only a tone and a half to two tones max on the bass strings, and even less on the treble end. I personally swear by the S series though, and would fully recommend it to anyone who wants a good all round guitar.
    Randomrings
    themelodicdeathshow
    Randomrings wrote: An Ibanez S series was my first actual guitar. I got it cheap off somebody who had it on craigslist and was just looking to finally get rid of it and that was a good 3 or 4 years ago. It's still amazing. And I don't understand why everyone has problems palm muting with it, my friends do too whenever they pick it up, but I can get one mean palm mute out of mine. With a Digitech RP250, a bit of effort, imagination, and my 100w Marshall head and raven cab, there's pretty much nothing I can't do with this guitar (except play jazz in college, I have an Artcore for that though)
    You mean your 100 watt marshall mg head dont you no one in there right mind would use a real marshall with a pos raven cab.
    SkepsisMetal
    Ahh, my mate has one of these. Except he removed the middle pup and just painted the inside of the pot to match. Sounds awesome, and plays even better. If I had he money I'd get one.
    paranoid70
    I had one of these. I bought it new in 2000 and held onto it for about 7 years until I bought a Music Man. The guitar was pretty good overall. The bridge pickup was pretty good for hard rock / metal, the neck was really fast, and it looked pretty sharp. The one thing I didn't like was the trem - guess I found out I don't really like the Floyd Rose style trem. Personal preference really.
    loinmute
    I own the S420, and the ZR tremelo is one of the best floaters on the market.
    sooperduper19
    i just got one and i have to agree that a huge problem is the palm muting. but i got used to it as well