S470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470

Purchased from: Ebay

I play alot of Ska and Reggae music and a little Punk/Modern Rock, ex: Sublime, Bob Marley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. This guitar is pretty versatile and can handle these styles quite well. This guitar isn't noise and has a nice bright tone. This guitar can get everything from blues to Punk rock. While the powersound pick-ups get the job done, it's still desirable to swap them out.

This guitar matches my style and is very reliable. It's far superior to my Ibanez RG470 and my other guitars in its price range. The only thing I don't like about this guitar is the stock pick-ups, which I will soon swap-out for a Seymour Duncan JB and a Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus STK-S4 (I rarely use the neck pick-up). If it were stolen or lost I'd have a Custom guitar shop make me a new one with only a couple of changes.

This guitar would definately withstand live playing. The zero-resistance stays in tune better than most of the Ibanez floyds. And the finish is amazingly resilient. The strap buttons are solid and this guitar smashing into the stage (unless you pull a Hendrix). I would easily gig without a back-up, but only if I had put a fresh pair of strings on.

I got this guitar used and the strings left on it had a nice coat of rust! After changing the strings and cleaning the fret-board I messed with the action/intonation for half an hour and had it up and running. After the adjustments this guitar sang! It's definitely one of the fastest guitar in the price range. The finish was almost flawless with only one blemish. Eveything else on the guitar was fine.

-2003 -Korea -22 Jumbo Frets -Wizard II 3-Piece Maple neck -Rosewood finger board -Flat Orange Flat body made of mahogany -Strat style body -Zero Resistance Bridge -Passive Powersound Pick-ups -1 Volume Knob, 1 Tone Knob, and a 5-way selector -HSH pick-up configeration -Locking tuners standard -Came with a gig bag

Lucifarion
    I have one of these, just got it used. A few points on some of the retard comments. 1 yes Bradley Nowell and Herman Li used earlier versions of this guitar (Li earlier in his career, before he got the S540 or his sig model). 2 the ZR trem is sick (you can go to drop D using just the fine tuners, you just have to adjust all 6 strings not just the low E). 3 the slim body is great and very comfortable. 4 it can be used for any style of music (personally I have used it for Jazz, blues, classic rock, metal (all sorts of metal), ska, and punk). 5 if you have trouble palm-muting with a ZR you're doing it wrong. 6 for the tool that says he has a 1970 RG he's full of crap.... RG's didn't exist until the mid '80's. This guitar blows away all but the very best Ibanez RG's.... Trust me I've had them all from early MIJ's to newer prestige and premiums.... this Korean S is far nicer to play and way more comfortable..... my only complaint is 22 frets, I wish it had 24. The Ibanez all access neck joint is great so it doesn't really bother me that it's short the two frets. Finally just try an Ibanez S series they really are some of the nicest guitars around for all styles.