S470DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470DX

Purchased from: Peter Johanzen Muziek

My music style varies from Slowrock tot Hardrock and classical pieces to funk. S470 covers most of them, however, it is clear that it was made for the louder segment of music. The pickups respond extraordinary well to modulated distorted sound. It gives the bite needed for soloing and power chord play. The single coil pickup sounds a little fragile, but with some artificial modification (like a effect-bank) it sounds just as full as the better and warmer Seymour Duncan pickups. I play through the Zoom 7.1ut to a Peavey Bandit 100. But even without effects you can really feel the power that lies in this masterpiece. The bridge pick-up can be a little noise now and then, but so far it hasn't been really annoying. It's able to respond well adjusted to practically any type of music. I use the combination of single coil and neck humbucker while playing the more funkier sounds, while the bridge humbucker suits the more heavy stuff, like Satch for instance. Late in the evening I usually turn to bluesy or jazzy styles, combined with my multi-effect it can really create tear-jerking blues sounds. The possibility of creating these sounds really endanger my sleep, but I'm just excited that I've made such a good choice. I owned a low-budget Ibanez GRX40BK, and eventually that was a tear-jerker as well, however in a complete different way. So this is my first mid-class guitar. I suppose the real pro's consider this instrument as a mere low-class guitar, but it suits me.

I've been playing guitars for about 5 years now. Maybe I'm not developing my skills so fast but that will be due to my interest and investments in practically every band-instrument. I play drums, bass guitar and piano/keyboards as well. For my skills (for example: I'm able to play satriani's solos, but that is the summit for now) it suits well. I think it was a well made choice and I do not regret it. Perhaps in a few years I'll be yearning for something better, but as far as I can see now, I would buy it again if it were stolen.

So far I haven't dropped it yet, but it 'feels' real durable. I think the level of durability and reliability is to be determined after some years of playing. I cannot say anything constructive about these topics. The only thing that is obvious is that it was much more solid and dependable then my first Ibanez, but I guess that isn't truely and indication. The ZR-tremolo, by the way, is a real improvement. I virtually can drop my guitar holding on to my trem and don't hear a change in intonation. It is extremely advanced.

Before I went to get my guitar, my dealer was kind to set-up the guitar. So that everything was perfectly set. I do not know how Ibanez usually presents their factory-made guitars. But as far as the looks are concerned: it is really sweet. I chose the Chaircoal Brown variant, and I absolutely do not regret it. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen (I prefer the JEM-types, but these are way above my budget). So far I haven't been able to detect any flaws. So I guess there are none. Everything seems perfectly fine.

JadeFalcon5
    hey guys, i saw a used one of these, 1995 custom shop with seymour duncans, and custom fret inlays, its used for only 400... i think its a steal, perfect condition, should i get it?