S470DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470DX

Purchased from: Philippines

This is a first proper electric guitar I ever had. It sounds as good as my friend's Les Paul. Though not as rich sounding as the les paul. I'm currently using the crappy amplifier that came up with my crap guitar. However, comparing with my guitar before and this, this guitar gives a stronger overdrive or distortion. Even in the clean channel, the sounds tends to be distorted on the neck and bridge pickup. The single pick up in the middle produces great clean tone. The guitar just sounds good to me.

Pickup is the cheapest one because as far as I know this one goes on the basic guitars. Other RG series at this price range will have INF3 or 4. Pickup is just okay but I'm thinking of replacing them. I would go for the same one when it happens to get stolen. ZR tremolo is just great. It's a ball bearing tremolo system after all. Though I hate the volume knob. Anyway, they went out of stock with the RGs that I was trying to buy (it was out of stock in the whole philippines the manager said). But the more I play, the more I love this guitar. It's a good guitar that could hopefully fit into any genre (some people say it's not good on blues but I play blues and this guitar sounds good on blues in my opinion). Though if you expect something more with 600 bucks, go for something else.

Its neck is thicker than RG series but I'm still afraid it can break easily. It gets scratches easily. I have no choice but to use this guitar without a backup. But then again it sounds really good on stage. I can use it on a gig without a backup I guess.

It has quilted maple top with transparent red finish. It's only my opinion that I notice Ibanez guitars under 1 grand doesn't really have good finishes. I had a smear of paint on my finger when I was checking out the ZR tremolo system. The volume knob has problem that at one point the guitar just becomes silent. I haven't really figured out a lot about this guitar but I just wish the guitar would have better finish. The finish isn't that good compare with the price I paid.

It was made in Korea (the actual model name is 470DXQM). It's 22 frets and has quilited maple top. It's a mahogany body. When I saw it in the shop it looked liked it stayed there more than a half a year. It had a little rust on the fret and the hardware. There weren't any scratches on the body itself. It only came up with a 6 ft. cable. They should have given the gig bag as well.