S470DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470DX

Purchased from: Fat Cats Music Shop

This guitar can make just about every sound anyone would want from it. I use it with a Marshall MG100DX for gigs and a Kustom 25w amp for home. Kustom amps are practically unknown, but it makes a fantastic sound on both clean and distorted. I play bits of many styles of music with my band, from jazz to progressive metal, and this guitar finds a way to suit them all. The stock single coil pickup makes a fantastic acoustic sound, and also is great for clean solos (listen to the guitar solo in Dream Theater's Solitary Shell). I cannot fault this guitar on sound, it is everything I would want, like, ever.

I mainly play metal/progressive metal, especially Dream Theater, Who my band do numerous covers of. I've been playing about a year and a half now. I own a Marshall Pre-amp, a Boss PS-3, A Zoom effects pedal thing (I forget which type it is. The 505 I think), and a Champion wah pedal. The only thing I wish I had when I bought this guitar was a hardcase. I love this guitar so much, I couldnt stand it getting damaged at all. I'm making do with a Ritter backpack case thing at the moment though. If this guitar was stolen or lost, and I had the money to buy it again, I definitely would. However, I am not the richest of people, so I would end up buying a cheap crap guitar until I could afford something better. When shopping for a new guitar, I also tried the Steve Vai signature model (the one that costs about 1000). This S type, felt to me, by far a superiour guitar. I would much rather spend 350 on this and buy a decent amp, than spend 1000 on one of those, just because Steve Vai plays them. Overall Excellent Guitar. By far the best guitar I have ever played (and I have played a fair few). If you see one (won't be Brand New, because these are no longer made), buy it.

This guitar, will most definitely withstand Live playing. I have gigged this guitar about 10 times now, and I still cannot find a problem with it anywhere. I had a slight bit of trouble fixing the strings the first time I broke one, but that was purely because this is my first guitar with a ZR tremelo. In fact, the only other guitars I have ever restrung have been strastocaster style guitars. But when I actually knew what I was doing, it was simple enough. The hardware seems very sturdy, and not likely to break any time soon. As I have already said, the paint scratched off of the pickup ring slightly, but that didn't bother be too much. I have never before, and never will (unless a ridiculous amount of money finds it's way into my hands, in which case I will, just because I can) gig this guitar with a backup. There isn't much of a need at all. The only problem I can see is if a string breaks on stange, it may take a while to re-string. The finish seems like it will last forever, mine is still spotless, after being gigged numerous times. The scratchplate on the back is handy. That always seems to be where my belt buckle rests when I stand up and play, so that protects the body from scratches.

Due to me buying this guitar second Hand, I have no idea what this guitar would be set up like straight from the factory. The shop I bought it from (Fat Cats Music Shop, Mansfield) was owned by a man Who set the action and everything on it before selling it to me, for free. Everything on the guitar was perfect, apart from some of the gun metal paint was scratched off of the pickup ring thing, but that was just because the previous owner had played the guitar lots.

Before I start this review, I would like to add, I am reviewing an Ibanez S470DXQM, although there wasn't a choice to review that, so I will place my review on here instead. I bought this guitar second hand around 3 months ago, due to them being discontinued. I think Herman Li plays the same guitar, although mine has a different style of Fretboard.

cyclefreak207
    i must say the tops on the s470dxqm...the new one...are fantastic...i am gonna buy one soon...reallly soon....i played one through a peavey windsor....and its like...a freakin inch thick...wow..ahah