S470DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470DX

Purchased from: Sound Control, Leicester

I play in a Rock/Metal/Punk band, so it suits our sound superbly, because the other guitarist in our band has a very different sound because he owns a PRS, so the way our tone differs from eachother together is perfect, because I scoop the mids Thrash-Death style (e.g. Arch Enemy) and he puts a hell of a lot of reverb more resemblant of something more classic rock (typical of Jimmy Page). I use a Fender Blackface style and a Line 6 model which makes it so shred metal it is genuinely untrue. I don't use many effects, so my S470 goes untouched by them. The quilted maple brightens up the soudn a bit to perfect my tone.

As I said before, I play rock, metal and punk, and am prone to drop D tuning. It is perfect for this. You can name someone in each of them genres Who have used Ibanez and been successful! Rock, Paul Gilbert (solo), metal, Mick Thomson (Slipknot) and punk, "Noodles" (The Offspring). I am twelve years old, and have been playing since I was six. I Live for and love music. It is my life, and despite my age I can shred, and I know my stuff about guitar. This is pretty much the best piece of gear I own. I wish I'd had asked about the complexities and mind-boggling skill involved for the horrifying thing that is Ibanez intonation. It is simply put, rubbish. I still don't get it! If it were stolen or lost I would probably not buy it again. I think I'd probably save up for a Dean. But the grass is always greener on the other side, as they say. I love the capability of the ZR tremolo. You could divebomb that bad-boy from the top of everest to the bottom of the ocean and the tuning would still be perfect. I hate the hardware. It looks like someone has left it under acid-rain and then blowtorched for half an hour. And that's when you look after it well. I compared it to many other guitars, most of which consist of schecters. I tried out the Schecter Omen Floyd Rose, which is much cheaper and really nice- but not quite as nice. This one had a warming charm, aswell as the capability of making you think you are Steve Vai. I wish it had a DiMarzio at the bridge, but they're really expensive, but I am happy with the current tone of my INF's (Just a shame about the pick axed appearence of the pickup cavities). This is one of many thousands of guitars in the Ibanez range- this one just happens to be one of the best!

I haven't gigged it yet, so that side of the story still awaits me, but I have practised with it. The strap buttons are incredibly solid. I wouldn't take a backup to a gig. It's too good for that. The hardware is already wearing away, which really sucks, frankly. Even the "innovative" (Ibanez quotation) ZR tremolo has a finish that could be worn away by a small childs undeveloped Saliva enzymes. The quilted maple top, however, looks set for life.

My guitar was handed to me in a cardboard box, which surprisingly left the finish intact. String-buzz was a major problem with my guitar though, but that is probably just bad luck, but I did have to have my neck modified to avoid it. And now it sounds just like Michael Ammot, Matt Heafy or someone metal like that, it didn't before, trust me!

LTDax260
    Pingis_Or_Death : i hate it when the pic of the guitar only shows the humbuckers POSTED: 08/19/2007 - 08:57 am / quote |
    You damn right, we wanna see all the guitar! and i so love ibanez, but i want that they guitars will be with 24 frets
    altered_silence
    I havent got to play one of these guitars yet, but from all of these comments, it sounds amazing! I like to play in lower tunings like drop d,c,and b for stone sour and slipknot. This guitar sounds awesome. hopefully i will get one soon!
    muso_ chris
    the first guy was complaining because he broke cables pulling it out because the input holds on well. all he has to do is be more careful and its fine.