S470DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470DX

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music Store

I play a very open style of music, mostly metal, blues, and rock. Van Halen is mostly what I use this guy for. I am currently saving up to buy either a Marshall or Line 6 cab and head but I have played this guitar on the Marshall. Since I was at the music store I'll just tell you about how I use it on my amp. My amp is a Fender 300 Champion, 1X12 speaker config. It sounds great with the built in effects(reverb, flange, chorus). I usually ser my gain to about a 4, treble 8 mid-range, 8 and bass 7. I The only source of distortion is a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. Even though I only have the cheap pedal the pickups on this thing give a massive scorching tone. The single coiled pickup aint that great and the neck could use a little work when playing low ends. But none the less it does give the buyer quite a variety choice. But I personally thought the pickups were quite mediocre compared to seymour duncans, and EMG.

I chose this guitar specifically because I wanted a locking nut and thick tone, this guitar definately satisfied my needs. It definately matches a heavier type of music syles. This is a very impressing guitar, a lot better than my Squier. Do not under any circumstantce: buy the sevice agreemeant! It is a rip off! All you get is 3 tuneups which are unnecessary because it is a lot easier to re-string than a Floyd Rose. I love everything about this guitar (not to be vague) I really like the neck because you can paly fast solos and chords without any difficulty reaching the right note. I compared this the The RG series and basically took a crap on them. This guitar blows away any Floyd Rose locking nut guitar. No Joke. I wish it had room for a D-Tuna on the bridge though. Oh well.

This guitar is very solidly built and is very dependable. It is near impossible to go out of tune even in my freezing cold/desert hot room. It truly can take a beating I have droped it a lot so I recommend a strap-lock. The top strap button tends to just let go of the strap so I would be careful with this at a gig. The finish hasn't really worn off or anything from consecutive play hours with me so I think it should be good.

I bought this guitar straight from the store and even then the finish showed no visible dings or scratches. Nothing on this guitar was wrong when I got it. Action isnt really any trouble at all, but the low E likes to get a little higher above the frets. BE very careful if you decide to buy a used case. Whatever the guy before put in this case some kind of oil or something took off pewter chrome finish on my knobs. But I don't think this is the guitars fault.

This Guitar Made was made in India in 2007. It is a new selection of guitars by Ibanez featuring a surpisingly thin body with a surpising amount of tone. It has a normal 24.75in scale neck and 22 frets. It has a locking nut perfect for divebombs! The neck is made of a 5-piece maple/bubinga Wizard II neck, and a bound rosewood fingerboard. The Headstock is very similar to the Ibanez RG giving it that classic RG look. There are currently two popular Finish styles available, blue moon quilt and a fire red quilt. The Body of the guitar is very..very thin and it's a very light guitar too. The Bridge Is a ZR tremolo, very similar to the edge III on the RG. The tremolo system uses a Zero-Point which means it floats on two ball bearings making the trem bar a lot easier to use than a Floyd. The pickups are IBZ Infinity pickups which are very nice! With a vol-tone-3 way pickup toggle control.

guitarguru134
    Laslow wrote: the 470dxqm has a bound fretboard aswell which the others dont have
    my s4702x has a bound fretboard though.
    MetalManLives
    I tried a S470DXQM today, was so impressed with it; deffinatly going to buy one soon. I thiink that for the price they are superb quality. The guitar feels so light to hold and so comfy its definatly great ergonomics. You can get awsome clean sounds with it and complete and utter distortion, the 2 humbuckers and single coil make it very versatile with the sound. Very good guitar.
    guitarguru134
    And Herman Li uses them.i think he's pretty loyal to ibanez, cuz most of his setup is ibanez pedals.
    MetalManLives
    Oh and apparently uses a S470 aswell, maybe thats the one he got in 1995 that he still uses now.
    WrathOscuro
    I never actually played an S series besides one of the SA's and that was too long ago for me to remember. Compared to the Basswood body RG's, which sounds heavier and more ballsy? The RG or one of these S's? Because the RG's have really thick bodies, yet the S's are mahogany..so I dunno.