S470DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S470DX

Purchased from: Ebay

Body wood makes it wonderfull for all genres, but moreso for hard rock \ metal. Tons of tone and sustain despite the thinner body. Change pickups for a better sound. Running it through my Peavey Vypyr Tube, Fender Superchamp, Roland Microcube. Pickups themselves are fairly noiseless, but not the best sounding. Pinch harmonics are difficult on the stock pickups. Bridge is fairly bright, but the neck pickup has some nice richness to it. I find palm muting to be much easier on this compared to a OFR or Edge III trem. As stated pinch harmonics aren't the easiest on these pickups, will update on this when I change the bridge out soon.

I personally play more metal-eque music. This guitar fit's that perfectly. Been playing for a little over a year. I wish I would have known that the black chrome finish wears off quickly. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another S series. Maybe an older one. I love the finish, the thin body, the thin neck. It's so comfortable to hold and play. I hate the cheap metal hardware. If I were to chose between this and another guitar around the same price range I would be more apt to choose the other guitar. You can find some guitars out there with EMG's, better hardware and comparable quilted maple finishes(Schecter) Wish it came Standard with EMG's or Blackouts, or the routing for that.

The clearcoat might not, mine has fine scratches all over the back from my shirts. Clearcoat is solid enough not to rub off but it does get scratched. Make sure to wax. Hardware is cheaper softer metal but since you're not using knife edges on the tremolo it wont wear out the same. The black chromed look is rubbing off on the bridge where I palm mute. Strap buttons were solid but I replaced with DiMarzio clip locks. I would gig with it without a backup. Pickups need changing though.

Action was spot on when I got it, pickup height was perfect, no changes in volume when switching between them. The Quilted maple is definitely bookmatched, not the best out there but it looks fantastic. Bridge is routed cleanly, no rubbing or misalignment. Finish has a slight flaw on the back, but only in the clearcoat. This guitar was on sale because of that flaw. Electronics are solid, pots are smooth and not scratchy at all. Pickup selector is solid as well.

2006 Made in Korea. 22 Jump Frets. 3 piece maple Wizard II neck with rosewood fretboard and jumbo frets. Mahagony Body with Quilted Maple Top Blue Burst Double Cutaway/Super Strat style. ZR Ball bearing tremolo with backstop feature. Infinity Stock Pickups with a 5way selector HsH Setup. Good tuners, but since it's a floyd it has it's own locking nut. My only gripe is I wish the quilted maple was a deeper stain, but that changes from guitar to guitar.

Soulcide
    Ph03n!x wrote: I have an Ibanez S470DXQM too, and it's just perfect... It's easy to play on it, and the ZR tremolo system owns everything I prefer lower tunings (Drop D,C or B) and they works very well on this guitar! And one of the greatest things about it, is that it always stays in tune! I recommend it for everyone, Ibanez guitars are the best (in my opinion)!!!
    i never use drop tunings but i agree. this guitar is perfect for low tunings i mostly use this for d straight i have my s series 7 string for b straight