S540 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S540

Purchased from: My guitar teacher

The sound of this guitar is huge, eventhough i have a crappy setup (stagg amp and Zoom g1x) it sounds amazing anywhere i plug it, the resonance is awesome too, sounds like an Acoustic (time is the best friend of the wood) really versatile guitar. It's got a 5 way Switch and you can combine the single coil with the humbucker and get a really nice clean tone, the distortion is amazing too, really thick and full, nice sustain for such a thin guitar. I can play metal, rock, jazz, blues, country anything!

I'm super super super happy and lucky too becouse I got it for an amazing prize (just the bridge itself costs like 400 bucks and I got the guitar for 300!!) if it were stolen i would probably try to found another one like this one (I don't I'm gonna found it this cheap but it will worth it) or a new S Prestige 24 frets. I love everything in this guitar except the tremolo push in bar. But overall is great guitar and it only came one year (1992)so this make it even more awesome!

This guitar was built like a tank, like a said before is 19 years old, but it's still rock solid nice trem, nice wood. I would have a backup for this one, becouse of the floating trem. And the strap buttons feel really solid too, but I will change them for DiMarzio cliplocks.

Well this guitar is like 19 years old so it's obviously has some dings and scratches and stuff(But I like that, it give's it more balls) it came tunned in Drop C, so I had to retuned to E, the bridge is awesome 100000 better that my old licensed floyd, it's a Lo Pro Edge! The only thing I don't like about this bridge is the push in bar, I can't keep it in place, but I'll figure out what to do but overall it's super stable bridge I can't hang myself in it and it wont go out of tune.

This a 1992 Ibanez S Custom USA in natural finish with maple fretboard, it's got a mahogany body with a super fast maple neck and fretboard(22 frets, I don't know the size, but they're really confortable) with oval abalone inlays, DiMarzio Tone Zone, Air Zone and stock single coil Ibz Usa and Ibanez Lo Pro Edge trem(new).

LÅLÅLÅ!
    I just purchased one just a few months ago. A 97 J-custom model. She's a beauty, and with the original edge + an HSH setup, you just can't go wrong. The only thing which I'd change about it is the lack of sustain, meaning you'll have to count on feedback for it to sustain for longer periods. But either way, this guitar is pretty much perfect for everything else than just that.
    GunLeatherGuy
    I love my s540..my is an 89 MIJ "second". Which kinda pisses my off because its flawless except the tuners were put on crooked. Slim tapered mahogany body, Edge original trem *as good as they get!*, american made Dimarzio ibanez pups, original wizard neck....what is not to love. It can do Skipnot to SRV with the same amp settings...just tweak the controls and your off to the races. Hands down a killer guitar.
    GunLeatherGuy
    BTW the correct title for this guitar is a "540S" the S comes after the 540 because this was the original Sabre. The S" series came after the Sabre lineup. So 540S. Not S540. So please fix it.....
    andrey.dyumaev
    they changed the naming from Sabre (540s) to S-series (s540) sometime in the 90s, so he might be right calling his an S540
    andrey.dyumaev
    It did NOT come for one year... they were made since like '88 or maybe '89. At first, with just an EdgePro, the LoPro Edge appearing in '90 or '91. What DID change was that they dropped all the weird naming in 92 and called it the S540. My '91 is officially called: Ibanez Radius PRO Sabre 540s In 92 they changed the order to match the RG series and others to make it simply: Ibanez s540 (and yes, the S moved from back to front) ...and sometime afterwards, in 93 or 94, they scrapped the "Custom Made" inlay. So no, yours isn't the only year it was made - just the only year it was both called an "s540" AND bearing the scrapped "Custom Made" inlay. As to the inlay: the 540s is often nicknamed "Sabre Custom" for the inlay, though it's not actually custom made. It's just Ibby's marketing dep't playing around with series monikers for higher-end guitars before they finally settled on using the "Prestige" marker instead. The early forerunner "Custom Made"s come from the same plant (FujiGen Gakki, Japan) and feature the same hi-end hardware and electronics (Gotoh, DiMarzio) as their successors, the Prestige series, and can hang with the best of em.