S5470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S5470

I mostly play metal ranging from Metallica to something as heavy of Children Of Bodom. As lead guitarist, what I expected from this guitar was to have a fast playable neck and a good sharp tone for shredding. I play it through an Axl Rocktone30R and it sounds great. On the distortion channel I would say it would be heavy enough to play Metallica but it doesn't have enough to play death metal rhythms. For lead tones, the guitar does just fine and gives the right tone shredders look for. The biggest flaw for the sound is the sustain on the guitar. On the higher frets (20-24) it cannot sustain a note for 2 seconds, which is disappointing. Even while shredding, you could hear some weakness in the sound because the sustain is weak. The clean channel was a surprise as it gives a really smooth clean tone, great for jazz or classical pieces even. I would say the guitar has a quite diverse range of sounds it can produce.

I love this guitar. Its so beautiful and it looks better than it does in the photos. The neck is as fast as it is advertised and it is super fun to play on. I do think it is a bit expensive as it could improve it's sustain problems and the pickups could be a bit stronger, (They aren't as powerful as EMGs) but I do think it's worth it. This is a shredder's guitar and I would recommend it to anyone who has the money.

I've only had this guitar for a year, so will it last? I don't know. But I do trust in the japanese so I have high hopes that this will last. The finish seems very strong and since its a very heavy guitar(even though its really thin) it seems like it will withstand dropping or some other tragic event. But then again, I'm not sure. I've been taking care of this guitar so well it still looks like I bought it last night. If I keep taking care of it like this it will definitely last. I've played one live show at my high school solo performance and there were absolutely no problems playing live, and I nailed the solo. I was a bit nervous about the guitar staying in tune because I was playing "Surfing With The Alien", and for those who don't know, it pretty much whammy's the hell out of the guitar. But it was fine and the ZR locking tremolo worked very well. The only times the guitar goes out of tune is when you REALLY whammy it hard.

Out of the box, the guitar was set up perfectly without any major problems. The only things I could think of are: It was untuned and I had to adjust the string tension, which is really easy to do on this guitar because the is a knob at the back of the guitar that adjusts string tension just by turning it. I have the red Viking finish and it looks absolutely beautiful and many people have pointed out that it looks really expensive and classy (It is). The only weird problem I had with the guitar is the when I opened the case, it had a very strange pungent smell. I thought it would go away after a while but it's been a year now and the smell hasn't gone away. Its not too noticeable for others unless they pickup the guitar.

This Ibanez Prestige S5470 was manufactured in Japan in 2010. It features a 24 fret super wizard fretboard, maple/walnut bolt-on neck, a mahogany body/quilted maple top. It has a ZRII locking tremolo with a ball bearing based pivot joint, which gives it a better tuning stability. Gotoh locking tuners. The neck pickup is a HG1 (Hot Grinder) Humbucking pickup, middle pickup is a ST2 (Short Tracer) single coil pickup and the Bridge has a HG2 pickup. The guitar came with a Ibanez hard case, a whammy bar and a small Ibanez toolkit that has small screwdrivers of different sizes and a ruler to measure the action. The toolkit is very useful when changing strings, tunings or adjusting the action/tension.

JB95
    If it were stolen then I would hunt down the guy who stole it with a bloody chainsaw and make them pay for stealing my beloved axe!
    haha, priceless!
    DarthV
    The burled walnut top one from 2008 is an amazingly sexy looking guitar. Really wish Ibanez had of kept using that finish for the newer super wizard HP neck s5470 in 2010 and 2011!!