S5470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S5470

Price paid: A$ 3500

Purchased from: Ibanez Japan

This guitar is a serious piece of instrument. It's a solid body Prestige Ibanez guitar with the following features:

- Rare Red Burled Walnut Colour (Less then 50 Made from the J-Custom shop in Japan)
- 24 jumbo frets, easy to reach thanks to the deep cutaway
- Fast flat neck for speedy playing with a rosewood fingerboard.
- Two high output passive humbucking pickups (bridge and neck) and a single coil between them.
- 5 way selector switch
- Tone and volume knobs
- Wicked, yet confusing ZRII floating tremolo
- Nice Burled Walnut finish and a slim, mahogany body that literally draws the chicks attention immediately.
- Guitar case that Chuck Norris couldn't break with both hands
- Locking nut, to keep the strings in tune when doing those Steve Vai divebombs with the tremolo arm
- Zero point spring tension system on the back. This basically means that if you use really light gauge strings, and you change to really heavy gauge, you can alter the spring tension, which saves you having to fiddle with the tremolo.

Very handy piece of equipment! This guitar is equipped for the serious soloist. There is no denying, it is a shred machine. A+ effort from Ibanez.

I was choosing between a Jackson PC-1 and this one. The Jackson was too warm sounding. I wanted a screamer and this guitar is it. The sound is amazing. Hot Grinder 1 and 2, and Short Tracer are a very good combination. When I first got this guitar, I was one of those fan boys that wanted to swap in a set of DiMarzio Evolutions right away. But after listening to the stock pickups, I was in love and didn't want to change a thing. Don't get me wrong. I love DiMarzio Evolutions, but the Hot Grinders and Short Tracer have their own charm. The neck pickup provides a super sweet and creamy sound. When you're shredding away and sweep picking, you can distinguish every note with amazing clarity. Everything is super clean and it is very pleasant to listen to. I play this through a Marshall JVM 410 Combo and a BOSS GT-100 it sounds AMAZING! I don't normally use the middle pickup, but when I play with it on this guitar, it is pretty fun and has a unique sound. It did make some noise when I'm not touching the strings though that has been sorted by the Noise Suppressor in the GT-100. The bridge pickup is deadly! When playing metal riffs, it just delivers all those buttery juicy tones that every guitarist seeks. I picked up a pack of every set of guitar strings the store had to offer, and at this point I was tossing up between the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys and the Elixir Nano Web Medium Heavy. When cranked this guitar definitely sounded best with the Elixirs. If there is one thing I have learnt from this its that string choice is crucial with this guitar. For the best sound you need to test different strings.

The finish on this guitar was second to none. From the moment I picked it up and played it it was perfect. There simply is no other way to put it. The action was low, pick-ups were perfectly adjusted, there were no flaws in the Burled Walnut top or the red finish. This guitar is a lot heavier than the standard S Prestige and is not lacquered which gives this guitar great resonance. The Bridge is simply a masterpiece. Thanks to the Zero Point tension system I can put as heavy strings as I like on it and for my that was the first thing I did.

I have owned this guitar for 5 Years now. And have not had a single problem with it. This is a guitar which needs to be played. Ive found that the more it is broken in the better it sounds. The hardware is still in pristine condition the finish still pulls chicks left right and centre. The strap buttons were good however I am extremely paranoid and put strap locks on less than a week after getting it. Have never broken a string on this guitar and I play every day for nearly 3 hours. I can absolutely depend on it. Wouldn't even bring another guitar to a gig. A guitar is like anything, if you treat it well and show it the love you would to your own children (if you have any that is) then it will last you to the end of days.

I have been playing for 15 years now and couldn't have found a better match. I own 23 different guitars ranging from Telecasters to Gibson Les Paul, and this is by far my favourite. This guitar is irreplaceable. Like Ibanez have said there are less than 50 of these in the world. I own another S Prestige and it just doesn't have the tone, the sustain and the feel of this masterpiece. I have compared it to just about every guitar in the shop I bought it from. The main competitor was a Jackson PC-1 which was beautiful just too warm for my liking. I tried another Ibanez RG Prestige which was a beautiful guitar. Had a limited edition maple neck and Black shimmery mahogany body. The overall feel to the RG just couldn't compare. I wish this guitar had a pot switch. The addition of more pick-up combinations would be nice. I'm a tone freak and I'm very particular about my sound. My favourite thing about this guitar is isn't the fact that its so rare, its not the fact that its a very expensive guitar. Its the fact that after five years of owning it not a day has gone by where I haven't picked it up, played it and smiled. It just makes me feel good, and to be completely honest I haven't looked at another guitar since and at this point I doubt I will.