S570B review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S570B

Purchased from: HW Audio, Bolton

I play mostly metal and rock, and this guitar is a natural fit to them. I've played it through a Roland Cube 60 and a Line 6 Spider IV 15, and its' tone is beautiful. The single coil is a bit noisy, but with the right settings this can be canceled out and has a gorgeous glassy tone to it. The pickups have a high output, so pinch harmonics are a doddle. It also handles clean sounds very well, although I've not really tried that out yet.

I play mostly rock and metal, which this guitar is perfect for. I've been playing for about 4 years now, and I also own an Ibanez RG7321 and an RG321MH. If it was stolen, I'd buy another in the drop of a hat. The thing about this guitar that I was a little apprehensive of was the fret inlays - they looked a bit poo in pictures, but seeing them in the flesh (pearl?) they look gorgeous. The one thing that annoyed me about this guitar is the stop bar, but that was sorted in ten minutes so there're no issues whatsoever. Overall, a very good guitar, and well worth the money.

One of the first things I noticed about this guitar was how thin it was - I knew it was thin, but this is THIN - I've measured it at 15mm at its' thinnest point. Despite this, it's got a lot of weight on it. The hardware could survive nuclear winter, and the strap buttons aren't going anywhere fast. It's very dependable, and I would feel confident that this guitar wouldn't break in a gig (although you never know, so I don't advise skipping on a backup). Lastly, the finish hasn't got a chip on it, despite being bashed around a fair bit.

The guitar was set up perfectly, the action was nice and low and I could play it fine right out of the box. The pickups needed no adjustment, and the construction is solid. One minor problem I had was that the stop bar on the trem was catching whenever any load was put onto it, causing strings to start vibrating. Luckily, this is easily removed and there are no adverse effects in doing so.

2010 model, made in Indonesia. 24 frets, 25.5" scale. Inlay is hard to describe. Google for a look, but the pictures really don't do it justice - it's gorgeous. It's a solid top, with a mahogany body, a 3pc maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. Finish is solid red, and has a black border around the bodywork. It features a ZR2 bridge, which I understand is a variant of a Floyd Rose but instead of using a knife edge it uses ball-bearings (again, google is your saviour for the technicalities on how this works). Passive pickups in HSH configuration - INF1 at the neck, INFS1 in the middle and an INF2 at the bridge. The single coil is a beaut, but a tad noisy. One volume, one tone, one 5-way selector. It features a locking nut and no-brand Ibanez tuners. No accessories included.

SLonergan
    TheAmadol wrote: how is the arm socket on the trem? i've heard that it breaks easily
    its only because of the "ZPS" which does more harm than good. It put a ton of extra resistance on the bridge, so you have to push that much harder to move the trem. Ibanez claims that the ZPS keeps the guitar in tune when a string breaks. This is a lie. All the ZPS does is make it so that when you bend a string, the adjacent strings don't go out of tune, as is prone to happen with floating bridges. You get this negligible bonus at the cost of losing the ability to flutter, and easily breaking the arm socket. IMO, take out the ZPS.