S570DXQM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S570DXQM

Price paid: € 629

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

My musical style is mostly metal (power and speed metal, for example HammerFall, Sonata Arctica, DragonForce, Nightwish) and sometimes 80's Rock and Classic Rock, so I was looking for something very comfortable and having a nice sound. The woods deliver a very warm tone and thanks to the pickup-combination and a 5-way-switch the S570QMDX has a pretty decent variety of sounds (if you play around with it you might even make it sound a little bit like Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits). Since Ibanez is known for making good metal-guitar, this is what I expected. Surprisingly I got that and even a pretty decent allrounder for other musical styles. Though if you like to play Classic Rock, Country, Blues or something with a little less Gain than for example HammerFall, you'd better take Strat. The Infinity pickups are exactly what you'd think of them: Ibanez' attempt on making cheap and well-sounding pickups. Now I can't say I'm disappointed, but I can's say I instantly fell in love with how they sound, either. They are nothing more and nothing less than quite good stock-pickups. Still better than the INF3-pickups in my humble opinion. But I guess most of guitar player change the stock-pickups sooner or later, so let's not be too harsh here.

I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years now and I've been looking for quite a while for a guitar that would suit my style better than a Fender Squier for 100. I wanted to get a guitar that would last for a really long time and that would really fit my expectations. I don't own that much of equipment than the S570 and my Peavey Valve King 112 (an Ibanez Wheeping Demon Wah-Wah-pedal is on it's way) and I have the impression that both my new Ibanez and my Valve King were actually made for each other. If I could go back in time I'd definitely buy the Ibanez S570DXQM again, despide the small finish-flaw at the backside. I can't tell what I love most, but I definitely like the tremolo, the fine tuners and the overall optics. Pickups are okay, but I'll change them for active EMGs anytime soon (birthday is coming).

I didn't really have the opportunity to play the guitar live or anywhere else yet but my own room, but I can assure you the guitar is pretty solid. I didn't notice any flaws or anything that would make me believe it would fall apart anytime I'd take it into a rehearsal room. You can actually see that the S series has workman's guitar as they are very slim, light and the flat neck is screwed on to the body very well.

The Quilted-Maple finish is very beautifull and so is the total appearance of the guitar. The fret-markings are very original (instead of dots as you're mostly used to, the S570QMDX has something like a wave), though the fretwork could have been a little bit more precise: Here and there I get the feeling the frets weren't round up very well so the guitar wouldn't have to cost more. But perhaps it's just me. Also there's a little finish flaw at the backside of the guitar, right where the neck is screwed to the body, but you barely see it. I didn't have to adjust the bridge or the string tension or anything but the tuning before I could start playing, which barely took 5 minutes, thanks to the fine tuners (I play the guitar one semitone lower on Eb). Everything else is perfectly fine. I know some people who actually hate the slim body and light weight and can't play with a S-series at all, so make sure you like it and could play it for perhaps 1-3 hours before you decide.

The Ibanez S570DXQM is available since February 2012. It has 24 jumbo frets, which is something new to the S-series, as the older models all have 22 frets. The body is made of Mahogany with a Quilted Maple Top and the Wizard III neck is made of Rosewood. As this is an S-series, it has a very slim and light body. Bridge: ZR Bridge with ZPS2. The whammy-bar is pretty nice, it keeps the strings in tune for quite a long time, I didn't notice any big differences before and after using it for a while (I admit, I had to tune it again after 30 minutes of whammy-abuse, but I don't think I'll ever need to use the tremolo that much during a gig). PickUps: Passive, 1INF1 Humbucker (Neck), 1INFS1 Singleoil (Middle), 1INFS2 Humbucker (Bridge), 5-way-switch (more about that later). The Guitar comes along with a 3m amp wire and a gigbag, though Ibanez also could have included a multitool as they do with the premium- and prestige-series. However, no big deal: You'll find several hex-wrenches included.