S620EXQM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S620EXQM

Purchased from: Axe Musix

I play a lot of variety of stuff, alternative, rock, heavy metal, and the like. RHCP, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, and a bit of Dream Theater and Satriani (I say bit because I'm not good enough for the real stuff just yet). The guitar was designed as an extrene netal guitar, but is extremely versatile; you can play just about anyting with it. Despite being very thin and light, it has the thick, heavy mahogany sound, and the pickups, though not like the best EMGs, are very very good, and replacing them would be a waste. With the bridge pickup you can get a very good Les Paul style sound. I did get a bit of feedback when I ran it through the overdrive on a Marshall MG 10 watt and a 15 watt, but I suspect that that was just the amps, as it didn't happen with amps that were much worse.

I thin this guitar is a lovely bit of work, some might find it a bit pricey, but it's worth it, and you can sav atleast $150-200 if you spend some time looking for a good deal on the net. If it were stole or lost, I would personally hunt out the person who stole it, and destry him, and anyone he had ever met. All in all, it's a very sweet ax, I would recommend it, but if you have a bigger budget, you can go in for the S prestige series.

The guitar would definitely withstand Live playing, it seems very solidly made, the D'addario strings look like they are gonna last, and the bridge makes ure that even if a string does happen to snap while playing, the others will remain in tune. It's also very light and comfortable, perfect for live playing.

The guitar came just about perfectly setup, although the spring tension was bit low. The finish was superb, and the attention to detail was excellent, little things like a tiny outline. The pickups were set in very well, though maybe they could have been a millimetre or so higher. A point to be noted was that the headstock was also done up very nicely, with quilted maple again, many guitars leave out the maple finish on the headstock.

The Ibanez S620EXQM is a 2007 model year thing, so I'd say that's the year it was made. It's Korean-made, has 22 jumbo frets, a rosewood fretboard and a gorgeous black quilted maple top. It has the Zero Resistance tremolo bridge, which "stays in tune no matter what crazy stuff I do with it", as said by Herman Li. It has 2 humbuckers, Ibanez INF 1 and INF 2 in the neck and bridge respectively, both of them are designed by EMG. It has a 3-way pickup selector, unlike the usual 5-way you get with Ibanez guitars, and has locking tuners. I got mine with a good hard case. The guitar is one of the thinnest guitars I have ever seen, and incredibly light, it is very comfortable.

gold_ninja101
    Edge Zero, I heard it wont go out of tune if you break a single string, it has ball bearings and a system in place to stop that.
    Liberchaotica
    Thanks you, how useful
    goonerbynature
    [quote][LastAuramancer wrote: If a string broke on this guitar, or any guitar with a tremolo bridge for that matter, it would go out of tune./quote] no it wouldnt.....i'll tell you a true story. when dragonforce were recording for through the fire and flames, herman li's string broke, but he managed to finish the recording(guitar stayed in tune), and i think it is the final version. he had an s prestige, that is true, but it has the same bridge(Zero Resistance Tremolo) as this one. Need I say more?
    LastAuramancer
    Troxem
    Oh, one more thing, the range of adjustment for the fine tuners on the bridge is so wide you can tune down (or up) a whole step without having to loosen the main hex string locks at the head. Truly awesome guitar in my book!!
    Troxem
    The Ibanez S620EXQM is a masterpiece of form and function. From the moment I first cradled this baby in my arms I fell in love with it's light yet solid feel and incredibly smooth playability - like butter. It's tremelo system with ball bearings was obviously built by someone who knows what a guitarist needs - a guitar that stays in tune for one which is not always a given in my experience. Is it just me or does anyone else not see the point of buying a guitar at any price that doesn't stay in tune? Whether you play metal, jazz, blues, polka, or whatever a guitar should be built to experience the rigors of playing and stay in tune. Let me tell ya, King Kong could play a dive-bomb tirade and this baby could handle it. I have an Ibanez RG750 which is also great in that respect but the design of the Floyd Rose tremelo system makes it a pain in the rump to change strings because the hex adjusters which clamp the strings to the bridge are located at the very bottom in the recessed bridge hole. You have to pry up the bridge or even remove the springs in order to get to it when changing strings. The S620's system has the hex adjusters in the middle of the bridge right below the strings and angled which makes it easy to change strings. Soundwise, when I play it through my Marshall Valvestate, the cleans are very warm and balanced tonally with impressive clarity and the dirty is plenty fierce and equally warm and well-balanced. I honestly cannot tell you one thing I don't like about this guitar. I love it so much I traded in a Gibson SG for it and ain't looking back.
    goonerbynature
    I just got a new record! 2 months after tuning I haven't had to open the locking nuts yet, only fine tune from the bridge after a month so. Ps-Complete with some whammy wankage.
    geoff135791
    this Guitar is AWWWSSSoOOOMMMMMEEEEE its great you can change the action so its so low it stays in tune when you lock it but its a bitch to tune sometimes
    Guitarandbass
    Mine is finally here!!! I love it, but the tone coulda been a little better. Whatever. Who needs tone whan you have distortion?
    tigerking615
    Actually, the trem is supposed to keep the strings in tune if one breaks, although I heard it doesn't work all the time.
    soultenebrae
    I'm a beginner and looking to buy one but don't know witch one between a Jackson dkmg or Ibanez s620 exqm?? $$$ not a problem.
    goonerbynature
    [quote][LastAuramancer wrote: If a string broke on this guitar, or any guitar with a tremolo bridge for that matter, it would go out of tune.][quote] no it wouldnt.....i'll tell you a true story. when dragonforce were recording for through the fire and flames, herman li's string broke, but he managed to finish the recording(guitar stayed in tune), and i think it is the final version. he had an s prestige, that is true, but it has the same bridge(Zero Resistance Tremolo) as this one. Need I say more? POSTED: 08/12/2008 - 112 am / quote |
    mohawkkidJohn
    true ninja, this is specially designed for that and it is THE smoothest sterm ive ever played. much smoother than any kahler which are also very smooth.
    TTr*
    herman li plays the S Prestige Model, well he used to play, im sure he does sometimes live, but he has a signature s model now, i would imagine thats his main guitar now
    MetalliRage
    doesnt herman li play somethig similar. i kow he plays the s series i just dont know which one
    jimbob4512
    i have an Ibanez S620EXQM also and i love it. The only thing i dont like about it is since my fingers are really big it is hard to hit alot of the higher frets because they are too small but over than that it is a beautiful guitar with a great feel and great sound.
    Ikillintel
    I just bought one of these out of a pawn shop,250 bucks when I got it home, cleaned it up and put fresh strings on it, adjusted the pickup height and action... the BEAST roared! Seriously one of the very best guitars I have EVER owned. As for enselmis comment up there ^ quit hate'n on EMG's , I've had SD pickups in other guitars and they are great pickups, but you can't get the same CHUNK from SD's you can EMG's. N that's the facts jack (lol)
    enselmis
    the tone is cause passive emg pickups are awful, actually, all emg pickups are awful. why the hell would u get a guitar with a nice mahogany body just to scoop out your mids??? throw some duncans in that and its sing.