S670FM ATF review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S670FM ATF

Price paid: € 499

Purchased from: Feedback Utrecht

There's good and bad things to be said about the sound of this guitar. Overall, it sounds REALLY nice unplugged. You can really hear the wood Shine through. The slightly worse thing is when you plug it into an amp - the stock INF pickups do a bit of everything, but a lot of nothing, if that makes sense. The positive is that there's almost no noise. Overall, I reccommend swapping out the pickups if you have the leftover money. 7/10 for lackluster pickups.

I play mainly instrumental metal (think Vai, Satriani and Gilbert) and this guitar is absolutely perfect for that - it's fast-playing, versatile in its sounds, and feels really nice and light. I have been playing for two years now, and have a VGS Screech and a Peavey Valveking amp. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would definately buy it again. I got this particular one at 170 euros off because of the new stock arriving that day, but it would be worth the full price to me. I love how thin this guitar is, but the pickups are sort of lackluster - then again, 7 out of 10 Ibanez owners swap them out anyway. My favourite feature is that the ZR Bridge allows you to set spring tension with a thumb wheel - I hate having to pull the backplate off on my VGS just because I want to droptune it. I have compared this to the new Ibanez RGs and Jackson Dinky guitars. The deal-seller on this one was partially that this particular guitar was the last in stock and came at a rather large discount, but also that it feels much more comfortable to me because of the thin, contoured body. Overall, this guitar gets an 8/10, and the PsiGuy60 seal of approval.

This guitar looks fit for gigging, and it is. My guitar has fallen 1 and a half metres without so much as knocking it out of tune. Hardware feels solid and will last forever if you don't drop it into a pool or something stupid like that. I would use this without a backup at a gig - I would bring a second guitar for different tunings though. I have heard stories of the tremolo arm socket breaking after a few divebombs. This has not happened to me, but it is definately something to watch out for when buying a non-Prestige Ibanez S series. Overall, 8/10 because of the horror stories surrounding the tremolo arm socket - you can find replacements for 12 bucks though.

The set-up from the store was marvelous - in fact, the only thing I had to do after getting it home was tune it. The top isn't bookmatched, but I personally don't mind. No immediately obvious flaws, either. Overall, I'm giving this a 9 out of 10. The lack of bookmatching may not bother me, but it might someone else.

This mega-thin Ibanez superstrat was made in 2010 in Indonesia. It has a 22-fret Wizard-style maple neck with rosewood fretboard - very thin but nonetheless easy to hold. It has a mahogany body and a flamed maple top - a classic look also found on Les Pauls. The difference is that this has a matte finish, many Les Pauls have at least some gloss to them. It has Ibanez' own ZR trem - A very nice double-locking tremolo that is very hard to get out of tune. The zero-point system is kind of unnessecary in this, but it feels nice to me so I'm leaving it in. Pickups are in HSH configuration, giving the versatility I need. This guitar comes with its own toolkit and a cable. The cable isn't very reliable though - I barely played it for an hour before it cut out on me. 8/10 - The ZPS might not be your cup of tea, but you can remove that easily. Also because of the crummy cable.

SmudgeMetal
    An electric guitar with poor pickups which doesn't sound too good through an amplifier... and it gets an eight out of ten? Lame review is lame. Haven't played this guitar, can't decide wether or not the finish suits an ibanez, but that's just me.
    The^Unforgiven
    sewoo55 wrote: it sounds REALLY nice unplugged HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Linkerman
    it sounds REALLY nice unplugged
    sewoo55 wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    The^Unforgiven wrote: What's so funny? A guitar's unplugged tone is a good way to evaluate the tonal character of the guitar itself, instead of the pickups.
    EXACTLY. The^Unforgiven is 100% correct. You just made a fool of yourself, sewoo55 . Kudos.
    SilverSpurs616
    Ericholterman wrote: "instrumental metal (think Vai, Satriani and Gilbert)" Lol'd so hard at this.
    I'll be sure to tell these hugely successful musicians that they're doing it wrong.. I'm real tempted to try out the 24-fret version of this, seems like a good instrument (the S770?)
    BigHeadClan
    Sounds like a cheap version of an S prestige, for the price though you can pretty much just get one. Ibanez's stock pickups go from meh to bad once our outside INF 1-2, still I have a RG420FB(mahogany as well) and I must admit I love the shape of the body and how thin the neck is. Ibanez may not have unbelievable quality in their cheaper models, but the smaller price tag gives you some good lee way to customize them.
    TST2469
    I like the overall guitar but dislike the colour PAINT IT BLACK!! then maybe id buy it... If i was a rich dude HAHAHA LoL
    Krzyzy
    I have that guitar few years, and I think it's really good. Seriously. Action, Fit & Finish are just great. It's one of the "fastest" I've played, it's really handy too. Neck is fantastic. Suprisingly, that guitar is very slim. As I said, it's great... BUT. One problem- pickups. Lot of noise, hum,... in my oppinion they're not the best, but I've heard so many times, that they're ok - well... maybe they are suitable for certain styles of music, which I personally do not play. I've replaced it. Now I've got: SH2 (Jazz) - on the neck pos. APS-1 (single) - on the middle pos. SH4 (JB) - On the brigde. Now it sounds fantastic. In my opinion, sounds better than so much more expensive guitars.
    arefeen_shourav
    I'm using this guitar. Its really nice. I'm happy with this. But the pick-ups are not perfect for me. I'm thinking to replace these (B.P. & N.P.) with DiMarzio. ZR is outstanding!