S7420 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S7420

My set up: Marshall 30 watt, DigiTech RP500, and Morpheus Drop Tune pedal. I bought this to play heavier music (Deftones, Type O Negative, Paradise Lost, Korn, and my own music) and for the chance to increase my sonic range. I am not disappointed. Acoustically/on Clean the guitar plays very nice, especially in the middle toggle position. Distorted sounds are nice too, but I will probably plop in different pickups as I feel the bridge could be more open and clear for my tastes. They sound just a bit muted for me (could be my setup though). This section gets an 8 because the pickups are the exact types I want.

The S7420 is very easy and fun to play, but the minor flaws mine came with leave a sour taste, leaving me less inclined to recommend this guitar. If I ignore the minor flaws, I can strongly recommend this guitar to players who want increased sonic range from an otherwise beautiful guitar that offers great playability.

Based on my experience with this guitar and my guitar's flaws, I don't think this would hold up well to touring or anything. But for simple at-home enjoyment (which is my purpose) this is just fine. It seems like the paint would chip easily and that wear will become noticeable over time (as compared to my Korean SA160). This section gets a 5 because the paint job is about as thick and brittle as a Lays potato chip.

Setup was decent for direct from factory. Pickups sound nice and are well positioned. There were a quite a few minor flaws. The headstock has a smudged logo. A few frets appear lifted (high). Some of the screws, bolts, and other parts look a little distressed. The back panels look like cheap plastic when the front boasts beautiful, dark looking hardware. I would recommend purchasing a guitar that you have touched and played. Buying online is too risky. My guitar's flaws are rather minor but when you work hard for your money you should get what you pay for, and not anything less. It was my fault for not being more careful in my purchasing options. Overall it looked like the 3 people who signed off on my guitar for inspection missed a few details. Not the end of the world, but when you're paying hard-earned cash... that is why this section gets a 6 and not a 9 or 10.

A little background: I am a guitar hobbyist that enjoys playing hard rock and metal. I am able to play many of my favorite songs, start to finish (Metallica, Type O Negative, Tool, Paradise Lost, Foo Fighters, Ratt, Def Leppard), but I am weak at tabbing songs by ear. I bought this guitar as my first 7-string. I also own an SA160 that plays like a dream (nearly perfect acoustics - I got lucky with that purchase). I purchased this S7420 online from Guitar Center (my first online purchase from factory). The S7420 is an Indonesian made 7 string for Ibanez. 24 frets are set in a Rosewood Wizard II-7 neck that is bolted onto an S-type mahogany body (which is super thin) and is adorned with Standard pearl dots. The body color looks charcoal on websites (using my computer setup) but in person the guitar has a very sleek black finish. I was pleasantly surprised by the color and look of the guitar. There is a five way selector Switch with volume and tone knobs. The S7420 has a dual Humbucker setup (H-H) and an ZR Tremolo. I don't typically use the Trem on my guitars but I have performed a few dive bombs with this one and the action has been very smooth. A very cool feature is the wheel-based string tension adjuster. There is a visible wheel on the back of the guitar that allows you to adjust the string tension of the guitar with a simple push forward or backward of the wheel. Negatives: 1. Smudged logo on headstock 2. Two Dot inlays had blemishes (unpainted spots) 3. Three frets look a little lifted (took it to a shop to inspect and they said it wasn't a big deal. Fret buzz not extremely noticeable at these frets). 4. 7-string guitar case was not included nor offered for purchase. Positives: 1. Awesome neck - I love the neck shape and thickness. I read one reviewer on another site say it reminded them of an oar (I laughed, because it does a little) but the neck is befitting of a 7-string. This guitar has been surprisingly easy to conform to after years of playing a 6 string. 2. Look - the appearance of the guitar (minus the minute flaws) is great. 3. Playability - the low B sounds full and adds a new dimension to my playing. The neck is fast and the action is perfect. 4. Tuning - Stays perfectly tuned just like my other Ibanez. And believe it or not, this guitar is actually very easy to tune, unlike other floyd-type guitars I've had in the past (Fernandez). This gets section gets a 9 because the features are fantastic (ignoring the minor cosmetic flaws).

jgsb2001
    Thank you to all who commented . . . I appreciate the feedback. I meant to say that the pickups aren't exactly what I want. I will be dropping in DiMarzios when the cash comes in and I have the time. Thanks again.
    abshookme
    I made a mistake copying the link to this page. I became a member for 15 minutes ago so, well... I'm a newbie ;
    abshookme
    I just dont get it! - How can this Ibanez have so low a rating! I bought this guitar to myself as a Christmas present, and compared to the Les Paul 59, Black Beauty that I have played on for 19 years, that costs more than five times as much, this thing is amazing. In fact I havent played on my Gibson since. Maybe most of all because I feel like a string is missing ; Maybe its also because I doesn't know how modern Ibanez stuff is created in general... You dont have to do much before a scratch will be available on my Les Paul, but at my new Black Beauty, I just cant see a single little tiny one, and I have practicing with it approximately two hours a day. As said Im a totally newbie with such a one, but its great to see, that jgsb2001 also thinks its awesome to tune. It only takes a split second and compared to my Les Paul, that you have to tune all the time even though there is no lovely whammy to violent this is amazing. Well, let me be honest to say, that for three months ago I always endorsed my les Paul because I thought it was stabile. Well it very well is, but... The only problem that I have with my new big black beautiful baby is, that is make an outrages squeezing noise every time I turning the tremolo bar around. It sounds like someone takes a couple of nails and scratching them down on a window or a blackboard. Maybe it only needs a fast way down for a couple of minutes to the black smith at the guitar store. Im not sure if I should give it 9 or 10 in overall rating. If everybody else had given it higher, I would have given it 10. As stupid as I am, I only give it 9. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/e... s/ibanez/s7420/index.html?voted
    mrtribute15
    This is gonna be my third guitar, my other two are axls and I smashed one and the one I have is a nightcrawler and u don't recommend it. This guitar will be my first 7-string, hardwood made body, and tremolo guitar. However, I do already have some experience with them. I'm looking forward to it greatly.....and especially for the price. Sorry about the cosmetic flaws and I hope that's very rare that that happens.
    IofHorus
    If I've learned anything, it's never...ever...ever order or buy anything from guitar center. Ever.
    Almightynikita
    Dayum, what a great review, refreshing to see =P I own this guitar and I definitely agree. Pickups are quite decent and I can get excellent harmonic response...but they lack something, you can feel it. I also have a smudge/blemish on the inlay, however only on one. My friend got an indonesian made Ltd-417, which is an incredible non trem alternative to this guitar. However the neck isn't as sleek or fast and the setup is rather lousy. The attention to detail is second to none though, no flaws at all. Overall, good guitar, great review
    Luminate
    good written, honest grades and nice to read i have the 22 frets version, and i think that the pickups (especially the low B), are very muddy, and should be changed in order to sound good
    EpiExplorer
    I'm polarized in agreement, everything you've said I would mostly disagree with. But like everyone else said, smashing review and fair scores.
    365_days_gone
    This is the guitar that for some reason was not made available to Canada!!! Ibanez really screwed that up. I had to get the RG7321 instead of this baby. I couldn't even find it online, unless Ibanez ships it on their website, but then I'm looking at even more for shipping charges. I was hoping to find a used one, but no chance of that is Canada. Ibanez dropped the ball with that decision!
    pigeonmafia
    I have the 24 fret version, and I disagree on two things: the finish is fine, I've smacked it several times and it hasn't chipped or suffered any damage or blemishes. Also, I found the pickups to be appauling. The other faults were just bad luck, mine came all perfect. Overall I'd give it a 7.5 or an 8 myself, a straight 8 if the pickups weren't so shite. Good review aswell, by the way. very well written and honest
    jgsb2001
    @abshookme Glad you love it too! It is now my main axe and I actually returned one of my newer guitars (Schecter) because I wasn't playing it. I am too busy playing my S7420. The body of the S7420 is amazing when compared to other types. The main reasons I gave the score was because of the cosmetic flaws, perceived reliability issues, and pickups that initially sounded a little 'closed'. I have changed a few settings on my amp and floor processor to get a really good sound from the S7420. I too play at least an hour a day but I do notice the small scratches on the body. I use the Dunlop maintenance system to buff them out though. I would recommend purchasing this guitar for anyone interested in a 7 string and I would say this is a solid 7.5 out of 10. Without any flaws the S7420 would have received an 8.5 or 9. For me, the only guitar that I have actually played that would get a 10 would be JP's Music Man signature guitar. I love the feel, the sound, the features, and the style.