S7420 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S7420

Price paid: € 619

Purchased from: rockpallace

I play mostly metal all kinds of stuff from Dream Theater to stuff like Cannibal Corps on this guitar. it sound fine although the B Sting sounds a bit muddy sometimes. At my place I run the guitar through a Ibanez Weeping Demon and a Peavey Bandit 112. also tried it on a Fender and a Marshal valve. While playing with my guitar teacher I was amazed how clean it sounded trough a clean channel while also having a great distortion tone. Thanks to the 5 way selector you can get a wide variety of sounds. I especially like the ability to parallel connect the neck pickup for a bit of a single coily sound. So overall a nice sounding guitar.

With my style of music its an good 7 string guitar for its price. If I would lose this guitar if I would have more money I would go for a other guitar. But since this was close to my budget. I love the feel of this instrument but the thin body is kind of a double edged blade. I like this guitar a lot and maybe I'll replace the pickups one day it plays great and sounds great. So overall a great guitar if you don't mind passive pickups.

Played live with it once, no problems at all. But I would bring a backups so should you with all guitars, you never know what might happen. Since I have some experience with the s series I know that the hardware will last. (-) the tremolo arm comes of once in awille, the socket seems to loosen up or something. This occurred to me 2 times in the past year. Not a big flaw but still.

the factory set up was horrible. The intonation was a off and the string where to thin, the Low B sounded like sh*t. First thing I did was restringing it with thicker string and set it up right. After setting it up the action was really low with minimal fret buss, which can't be heard through the amp.

Indonesian made guitar with 24 frets, wizard II-7 neck and a mahogany body. ZR-7 Bridge: I like the ZR-7 bridge, keeps the guitar in tune. if! the guitar is set up well, so if your guitar gets out of tune take a close look at your intonation! Passive pickups with a 5 way pickup selector. (-) one of the few negatives of this guitar is the fact that the body is a bit to slim for fitting active pickups. I decided to buy this guitar as my first 7 string simply because I love the Ibanez-S series. I own a S470 and simply love how versatile it is and how low the action is.

jarnozz
    sounds like a good 7 string for me since im low on budgetXD but first testing it the guitar shop to avoid such problems. can this guitar handle heavy stuff like loomis? thats why im getting a 7 string, jato unit works fine om my rg but can this guitar handle stuff like that?
    xXDrkndHeartXx
    I've been looking at some guitars but there aren't any guitar stores around so I can't really go out and try any.. I currently have an Rg350Dx and I LOVE the neck. I did get to play the six string version of this guitar and enjoyed it a lot. Would this be a good first seven? I prefer thin necks and locking terms so it seems pretty sweet. Thanks for any opinions!!!
    abshookme
    HI everybody, I have something really awful and sad to tell you about this guitar. You should all take this as a alert and for your own cause, take it serious. Dont buy this guitar! For two weeks ago I went to the shop where I have bought my equipment for 20 years. It was like my Ibanez needed an adjustment, that I for some reason couldnt handle. After they looked at it for five minutes they told me that the frets were not well at all. Some were too high and some were a bit loose in the end. They also told me that that they would give me a new one and make a test on the guitar first. They did it with 3 Ibanez S7420 and their conclusion was, that there was something wrong with all of them. Now they have taken the demo out of the their stores and has stopped selling it. Ive been advised to keep a distance from the Indonesian models, so now I will find myself another 7-string Ibanez. Hell, I liked that guitar a lot :-( Please tell me if anybody has been through some of the same!
    Koloarie
    @Abshookme I have my S7420 for a while now and haven't come across your problem. Mine is in a fine shape.
    abshookme
    @Koloria Cool to know. Maybe Ive been very unlucky. Short time after I wrote last time, I had myself nothing else than a UV777P. It is amaaazing... but I still miss my lightweight Ibanez s7420, that just don't go out of tune.