S770PB review by Ibanez

Ibanez: S770PB

Purchased from: local store store

I play classic rock, rock, and a little metal. Everything from The Who to Deep Purple, Cream, Boston, Bad Co, etc. This guitar plays it all, a very versatile guitar! I have a Fender Mustang practice amp for home playing, and a Marshall JCM800 50 watt combo with a Behringer cab for jams and gigs. I use a DigiTech 355RP with this. The middle pickup with the right amp settings, I can get crisp 60's style sound. A flick of the switch, a stomp on the box, just about anything! I haven't found a style I can't play on this guitar!

I have been playing guitar on and off for over 20 years, and own several guitars, including a 1982 USA-made Kramer Pacer, and a Gibson SG. I love the versatility and the way the guitar handles. The neck is so fast compared to my other guitars. This is the 1st floating bridge trem I've had, and am having a lot of fun with it. I would replace it if it were lost or stolen.

This guitar seems rugged, durable, and well made. The hardware is solid, and seems to be of good quality. The strap buttons are solid, and the finish is beautiful. Picture do not do this guitar justice. I would gig with it, for sure. I never gig without a backup, so I cannot recommend that you do!

Have someone check the setup if you don't know how. Mine needed some minor adjustments. The finish was perfect, although the routing for the middle pickup was a little rough. I think the middle pickup is a little high, but that can be adjusted fairly easily. The quality overall is very good.

Made in Indonesia in 2010, this rig has 24 jumbo frets and the beautiful poplar burl finish. It has INF1, INF2, and INFS1 pickups, a HSH combination. Its has a Strat type design with a deep cutout to hit the high notes. It has 1 volume and 1 tone control, 5 way switch, locking tuners, and the ZR tremolo system. Not to mention the new Wizard III neck.

Air_Stryker
    Supercolio wrote: vanklef92 wrote: Ridiculous action and light as hell. Ridiculous action in a good way or bad? :p Looks like a nice guitar.
    Considering he said "one of the best guitars" I'd go with in a good way =P
    Krauser
    I've got a Prestige S2170FB (the S2170PB is the same but with the Poplar burl top) and if this is even half as good, than it's a great guitar. For the price of the prestige though (got mine for 1000 new on ebay), you should get the prestige instead considering it's on 200 more...
    Holywars29
    Supercolio
    vanklef92 wrote: Ridiculous action and light as hell.
    Ridiculous action in a good way or bad? :p Looks like a nice guitar.
    T00DEEPBLUE
    motor2000
    I've got one and its a fantastic guitar, the neck feel is silky smooth and fast. Compared to a LP the neck is a little thinner up top but wide enough at the business end and very comfortable. The pick ups are fine, different guitar different sound. Overall its a classy guitar and its light as a feather without losing sustain.
    Slashiepie
    Holywars29 wrote: I heard the S series suffers from bad sustain, even the prestige models, are you experiencing problems with this?
    Ive tested the prestige SV and S that are 1300 euros and more at the music store and sadly.. they do.. its on a couple of frets but the notes sustain dies out quickly instead of fading out.. sad other than that AWESOME friggin guitars.. i wonder if higher action would fix it.. there are also guys who have found ways to add mass to the guitar by changing some pieces on the back (tremolo cavitiy)
    Pat_s1t
    This guitar is so ****ing nice. The pickups weren't too great as always, but it was set up extremely well and was really comfortable in the hands. If I had the cash I'd go to Long and Mcquade today to buy it.
    DrCOOL
    I played one of these a little while back. A very nice guitar all around. Actually been thinking about picking one up.
    Skullivan
    I have the S670 (the older model, where the only major difference is the # of frets) and the S770. And I can speak well of both. The S770 and S670 both have the terrible stock INF1 & INF2 pickups, which I replaced with PAf Pro, Chopper, and Tone Zone. It plays so smooth, it makes me wonder how nice the S Prestiges are.
    blackbird51
    T00DEEPBLUE wrote: I played one literally a few days ago. It looked nice and stayed in tune pretty well, but the pickups are terrible. The guitar is way too light for my tastes and the neck is too thin. It feels like a toy. Aulthough the action was low, there was fret buzz everywhere. The only thing i likead about it was the trem system.
    dude that's how Ibanez's are. Get used to it. And the guitar simply wasn't set up correctly if the action was low and there was fret buzz. The guitar is fine if you get it new, not if you play it at your local guitar center where idiot kids try to tune it down when it's set up already for E standard tuning...
    JagerSlushy
    Definitely not feeling the poplar burl. But it's probably a good guitar, seeing as it's an S.
    vanklef92
    one of the best guitars i've ever played in Guitar Center. Ridiculous action and light as hell.
    KrazyKev
    Besides the sustain issue everyone here seems to complain about, this guitar plays like a beauty! I've had mine for 3 years and can say it's the best birthday present I could have asked for lol The neck is very smooth, the body is super thin (I like thin guitar bodieslol) and also you can never go wrong with the natural wooden finished body. It's definitely a guitar for you shredders like me. And with the stock pick ups, I've never really had an issue with how they sounded, I thought they sounded fine. And the zero tremolo system is awesome!!!! It's funny how one of the guys at guitar center talked me into getting this instead of a schecter hellraiser (I'm not dissing Schecter guitars by any means). Besides the lack of sustain this guitar provides, it's a good investment for anyone that wants an Ibanez guitar or an upgrade.