SA120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SA120

Price paid: A$ 800

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

I play metal, hard rock, R 'n' B and some blues. This guitar suits all of these styles great. For my amp and effects I'm running it through a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt amp with a DigiTech Death Metal Distortion and Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. Through this it's sounds great and doesn't really have any flaws. I play with pretty high gain which is quite trebely and this sounds very nice on this setting. The pickups don't hum at all when lowered a little from what they where when I bought it. It is a very versatile guitar which could live up to many different sounds from Pop - Jazz and from Rock - Black Metal.

For the music I pay it is fantastic and would go out and get another tomorrow. I have been playing for 12 years and this has been my favourite guitar I've played up to date. Before I purchased it, I also tried a Epiphone Les Paul, Fender Tele and a Schecter but this guitar always had my vote. As I said before the only thing I'm not to much of a fan on was the action but this is easily fixed and now it's just a fantastic guitar.

I play with this guitar live often and so far I have had no problems with it yet. The hardware on it seems like it will last for a very long time although I did change the strap buttons to clip lock straps as it's more comfortable for me. I wouldn't bring a backup to a live gig because I believe that this guitar is fine to play with and could withstand an hour or so onstage. The finish hasn't worn at all for me yet apart for the occasional bumps but that's not too much to worry about. All up it's just a very strong a reliable guitar to play with.

This is where the guitar losses quite a few points. When I recieved the guitar, The action was way to high for me so I had to have this fixed. I adjusted the neck pickup down just a little to suit the sound I'm after and that was no problem at all. Also, as I stated before, the pickup selector was and still is quite noisey but I don't switch between pickups too often so this is not a huge problem for me.

This guitar has a mahogany body, a 3 piece maple bolt on neck, a SAT Pro II bridge, a rosewood fingerboard, 22 medium frets, 1 AH5 and 1 AH6 humbucker pickups, 1 tone, 1 volume and a 5 way switch. The finish on this guitar, which is a charcoal brown, is amazing and really makes the guitar look excellent. I must say that playing on the SAT Pro II bridge is amazing. It's just a really easy bridge when it comes to tuning as it's really easy and fast to tune and it stays in tune excellently. The pickups on this guitar also are phenomenal in my opinion. They sounds fantastic when you're using distortion and when they are in a clean setting they sound amazing as well. The guitar does lose some points for it controls. First, it's really hard top get a quiet sound because there in no middle ground between loud and off when using the volume knob. And the pickup selector is quiet loud when switching during playing.