SA160QMAM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SA160QMAM

Purchased from: Electro-Music, Doncaster

I play mainly rock and punk, so it is quite a nice guitar for that (nice, meaty humbucker sound). I have quite a lot of distortion on it usually, but it doesn't seem to have too many problems with feedback or hum, except on the neck pickup (single), which I think may be faulty. It can do the full range of sounds, from les paul style fatness on the neck pickups to telecaster-bright on the bridge. I play through a Marshall 100 watt, and again I have had no problems with feedback.

I have been playing a year, and have tried a lot of guitars, ranging from cheap Encores to top of the range American telecasters and Les pauls. However, I still think this is one of the nicest guitars I have played, although not quite up to the high professional standard (like PRS or custom guitars), which is reflected in the price. The only thing I think would improve this guitar is locking tuners. I will probably put those in sometime, along with straplocks and maybe another humbucker in the neck, but that is only because I dont like single coils. Overall, this is a very nice advanced beginners guitar and well worth the moderately cheap price tag.

I have played this guitar every day for nearly half a year, and it is still as nice as the day I bought it. I have done a gig with it, and although I took a backup, I had no use for it. The strap buttons seem fine, but I will probably buy strap locks for it anyway.

The action is quite low, which suits my style well, and I haven't had to change anything from factory settings really, as it has such a nice feel anyway. There are no visible flaws on the guitar that I haven't done myself, and I don't think I will need to get it fixed in the near future. The only problem I can see is that the neck pickup can hum through some amps, but whether that is just my pickup or not I don't know...

22 frets, two single coils and a humbucker, 5 way selector Switch, tone and volume control, Ibanez tremelo bridge (the cosmo bridge?), but unfortunately no locking tuners. Quilted top. Don't know what wood, but looks like maple.