SA160QMAM review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Ibanez: SA160QMAM

Purchased from: Long & McQuade (Used)

When I first got this guitar (1 1/2 years ago) I was into underground punk. And this guitar was terrible for it. Now I am into bands like Chuck Berry, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, ZZ Top, Led Zep, etc. and it is pretty decint for it, nothing great but it gets the job done. I use a VOX AD 30 VT and I use nothing for effects except the ocasional Wah or Tube-screamer. It is quite quiet on this amp, but on my old Fender Frontman 15 there was terribley loud buzz, The only buzzing I get from it now is when I am suing the neck pickup or when I stand too lcose to the amp. It has a quite full, bright clean sound and I can also get a very trebely, grainy sound as well. But on distorted it loses its edge. Just does seem to cut through the mix when practising, sounds a little muddy, and the is very little bite when soloing. Makes a great rhythm guitar but is lacking in the lead department.

It is an alround good guitar, It does'nt do any one style great but does them all decintly. This was my first ever electric so being a young musician it was a good match. I was happy with it when I bought and a year and a 1/2 later I pleased with, not happy anymore though. If it were stolen or lost I qould not buy another one, I have outgrown this guitar. I don't like that there is no real bite to the guitar but I do like how it looks. The only things I really wish it had was more bite and a floyd rose whammy bar so it would not go out og tune.

I am not really a live player so I don't know how it would stand up live but the hardware seems sturdy, I have smaked it, droped it, thrown it and it still is great. Quite reliable. The strap buttons are ok. It kept falling off my old strap so I bought one that you drill a hole into and stick on from the other side and I have had no problems after that. As I said I have had it for a year and a half and I play quite a bit and the finishes still looks as good as ever. Just a few polishes now and again and its fine.

I bought it used so I don't know the factory settings. I have been tinkering with the action for a wheil and can get it good, but not perfect. THe pickups are alright I only had to go get it reajusted once. But the humbucker keeps on falling inwards so I had to reset it myself and it seems good now. Everything was fine with this guitar when I bought it only a couple of dents and skratches, the tonal and volume knobs have fallen off a few times but as fopr that everythings good.

This guitar was made around 2002, made in Korea. It has 22 frets and a very skinny neck. It is probally has one of the skinniest necks I have ever played. It has a maple top with mahogany sides I do belive. It is a Strat style guitar (only better) and has a sting through body bridge which features a terrible whammy bar. On this guitar the whammy bar is absolutley useless. Use it a bit and you will have to re-tune right away. It has 1 volume (changes the tone more than the volume) and 1 tone knob. The tone knob works quite IMO. It has the usual Ibanez pickups with one humbucker and 2 single coils and standard non-locking tunning pegs.