SA160QMAM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SA160QMAM

Purchased from: 2nd hand

It fits my trash metal needs,and it'll also fit whatever your genre may be. The SA series are versatile. The pickups are noisy at times (Ibanez singlecoils, what can you expect). Rich and full sound. I have to add that the bridge pickup doesn't really suit metal though.

Like I have said, I play metal, and it's fine. All it needs is just a better bridge pup played thru a good amp. I've played for more than 3 years and I own a Laney HCM10, Jackson superstrat copy, Behringer hellbabe, Zoom 505II, and now, this baby. Yes, my gear sucks, but this guitar is kickass. I wished I asked for the damn allen key when I bought this guitar just. No reason why tho. If it's lost or stolen, I'll hunt the guy down and make him swallow my guitar. I'll get a new guitar because this guitar is discontinued. My favourite feature of this guitar is the beautiful rock solid finish and I hate the lack of 24 frets. I compared it to an Ibanez RG321MH and chose this one because the neck of the RG series are too thin. I only wish that this guitar was HSH, has 24 frets and maybe a floyd. By the way, I bought it for Malaysian Ringgit 950, not USD 950.UG didn't prepare the MYR currency option.

This guitar will withstand live playing. As long as you don't do crazy Herman Li guitar stunts like holding the guitar with the whammy bar, it'll stay in tune. The strap button on the back was not solid, but I fixed it with the good ol' toothpick trick. The finish is damn solid, I banged it on a table and there was no visible scratch. Scratches are only visible if you see them under really bright lights.

Can't really answer because I bought mine 2nd hand so I'll answer like how I bought it 2nd hand. The action was low, and had some buzzing, the pups needed slight adjustment. It was bookmatched fine. Flaws I received were crackling tone knobs, a shaky bridge pickup and 2 oxidized screws on the neck and body joint. Doesn't matter much tho, very easy fix.

Not too sure when it was made, but I know it's MIK. 22 frets, thin 25.5, maple neck with rosewood. Mahogany body, with quilted maple finished with amber burst. Body is rather S-like. Fitted with SAT30 floating bridge and passive pickups with volume, tone pups, 5 way selector. AS2 (S) neck pickup AS2, (S) mid pickup, designed BY EMG (H) bridge pickup and non locking tuners. Everything was stock. No extra accessories because I bought it 2nd hand.