SA160QMTG review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SA160QMTG

Purchased from: Guitar And Keyboard City

The 5-way selector gives great tone control and it can go from smooth blues to crisp clasical to super crunch and anything in between. I use a Behringer modeling amp with more settings than I know what to do with. I mostly use the reverb and chorus with the clean chanel, and high-gain distortion on the other channel. The humbucker at the bridge and the two singles in the middle and neck position give it any sound you could want.

I play anything and everything (some better than others). I also have a Fender Strat (Mexican), a Yamaha acoustic, a Behringer amp, I run a lot of stuff through my computer using Cakewalk software for effects and recording. I gave the Strat to my son when I got this guitar even though the Strat is a more expensive axe. I will buy Ibanez again because you just can't beat the value for the money. The quality far exceeds other brands in the same price range and even higher. If you get a chance to buy one of these, go for it.

I believe this guitar will last a long time. The finish is very durable. The playability is great. I expect my children will play it once I move on to something else. The strap buttons are the best in the business. This guitar isn't made for the professional musician and I wouldn't play it live because I would be afraid it wouldn't stay exactly in tune.

The guitar was set up pretty well but I did have some buzzing and had to have it set up by the shop's technician. Once I got it set up right, its been a dream. The action is blazing fast. As I mentioned, the volume pot isn't quite right, but not enought to make me have it fixed.

This is a 2003 model guitar (the SA line is still available, just not the QMTG version). The code stands for quilted mahogany transparent gray which is beautiful, I don't know why they discontinued it. It's got 22 frets, even though the neck is bolt on, the top frets are easily reachable because of the deep cutout. The neck is thin, nearly flat, with medium frets. The pickup configuration is HSS. It's also light so it doesn't break your shoulder when you play it for a while. The finish is absolutely the best. Since I've had it it's been played by me, my 15 year old son, my 11 year old daughter, the dog etc. Not a single scratch or nick. The bridge is a basic Ibanez tremelo model but I took the whammy bar off and threw it away. The tuners aren't locking but it stays in tune pretty well. My only complaint is in the volume pot and I could get it fixed if I really wanted to. It sticks a little.