SA160QMTG review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ibanez: SA160QMTG

Purchased from: Kl music store

My style goes from heavy metal e.g. Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy to rock & roll e.g. Guns N' Roses to blues e.g. Stevie Ray Vaughan. Although I sense a lack of power everytime I play "Master Of Puppets" I guess there is a give and take for the clean sound it gives you on blues. I got myself a Marshall 10-watt amp together with the guitar and the pair is just perfect for each other. I mean the Marshall is perfect for just about anything. I also purchased a ZOOM 707 effects peddle a year after and the sound is nice and clean. I wouldnt say that this guitar gives you the full range of sounds you can expect from an Epiphone or whatever but its enough for me.

I play heavy metal most of the time therefore this is not a perfect match. But the reason I got this guitar is because of the wide range of stlye's I can play on it. This is the first guitar I got when I was 16 and therefore will always have sentimental value. However I am planning to purchase another one with two humbuckers to give me that extra power I need to perform Metallica songs to the fullest. I compared this one to the other RG series hanging next to it. The biggest factor why I choose this one was because my cousin who is a professional guitarist recommended it over the others and I being a newbie to the world of guitars decided to follow my Guru. If it were stolen, I would find the scum who stole it and kick his ass. The sentimental value on it is irreplaceable.

So far, I have already done 6 live performances. No problems have been encountered (so far) but I must say that the beautiful finish on the body is like a scratch magnet. No heavy scratches but very slight ones which can easily be seen by reflecting the light on it. The hardware seems sturdy and the strap buttons are solid. Yet I wouldnt completely rely on it, keeping an extra guitar is always an option u should take.

The finish was perfect and I did not find any flaws in the product. I guess these koreans do a thorough job. One of the pickups was slightly slanted but it was nothing a little adjustment couldnt fix. Everythin else was just perfect.

After testing various guitars, I decided on this korean made SA160QM. It's got 22 frets/medium on its neck and is made out of 3pc. maple neck material. The body of this guitar was glowing in the shop. Like it was yelling out to me, "I have been destined for you and you alone," this however might be due to the quilted maple top on a mahogany body. It has a transparent finish and I decided on transparent gray (because it was the only one left). This amazing looking guitar had a SAT30 bridge which I guess is suitable for the type of music its meant for. Although the passive electronics on this baby may put the beast to sleep, the smooth neck with pearl dot inlays make it almost impossible to wake up again. Only two volume knobs are provided though, the classic volume and tone. However a 5-way selector gives you the ability to play various style's of music. It has a 2-1-1 pickup configuration. IBZ AS2 (S) neck pickup, IBZ AS2 (S) mid pickup, IBZ AH4 (H) bridge pickup. I got this guitar together with a strap, tuner, cable, gig bag and a few picks. My cousin knew the shop owner very well.