SA160QMTR review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SA160QMTR

It suits my music style which ranges from beatles to led zep to Metallica. I'm using it with a Fender Frontman 15G and no effects. It hums like mad even on the humbucker but that is mostly the amp and lead I'm using. The miserable attempt at a nut (which is made of plastic) came off the jack and it sounds crap with other guitars too. The bucker is very bright and trebley, the middle pickup sounds sort of twangy and the neck sounds sort of dull and flat but very good for blues. It's extremely versatile if you use effects with it but my rig does it no justice especially since I've had it all for 2.5 years and it's all I've got.

I've been playing for 3.5 years and this guitar for 2.5 of them, I have a Marshall MS-2 and Fender Frontman 15G, and an Epi G400 (which is actually my brothers that he never uses). If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy another one because they are hard to find but I would search extensively for my one. I love the thin maple neck on it and there's nothing I hate that I didn't cause. I didn't compare it to anything when I bought it because I had no idea about guitars. I liked Strat shapes and wanted a red Squier but I definitely choose this over one of those. I wish it had the grub nut from the trem arm but otherwise there's nothing major I would want.

The guitar would withstand Live playing easily, but it seems to dent quite easily and it is chipped after it rolled out of it's stand after something was pulled out from under it. The strap buttons are pretty useless now, but I never used them until about march this year. They hold up to quite a bit of jumping around but they have been repaired several times. I could depend on it but I would probably get a backup or a chair just in case. The finish wouldn't wear but it does scratch very easily.

The action is amazingly low and the strings generally don't buzz but the plastic nut has gotten worn, as has the bridge so it causes a buzz from there. The pickups were adjusted fine although any heavy playing causes the humbucker to loosen and fall into the body. The guitar has flaws but they arre because of usage. I find that the g string is very rusty but that's because it's been there for over a year (I don't change the strings unless they break). It was missing the grub nut which holds in the tremolo, and I'm looking to replace it but I can't find any information about it. If anyone knows please comment.

My guitar was made between 99 and 02, can't remember what the serial ended up as but it was made in korea. 22 frets, thin maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The body is topped with quilted maple and the color is transparent red, hence the QMTR and I think the back is mahogany but I never got around to checking that. It's sort of like a Strat but it's widest point is about 3 cm across and it has no pickguard. I think the bridge is single locking, it's called the SAT30 and it has a trem bar, but the bolt on mine is missing so I can't use it. 5-way selector switch 1 volume 1 tone and a H/S/S configuration of Standard Ibanez pickups. I dunno what the tuners are but they look identical to the ones on affinity squiers. they don't suck as much as them though.

TheFreeBird
    i guess its a nice guitar, but definitly not at the top of my list...plus i have no money
    Ali-b912
    btw i wrote this, it just didnt consider me logged in when i submitted. i thot they just rejected the review and never bothered checking it. it isnt all red like that picture. thats actually a SA160. not the QM model like mine. basically imagine the othe SA160QM but in a dark blood red sort of color. its not awesome. its about mid range. i think its meant to be able to do jazz sort of, or something.