SA260FM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SA260FM

The humbucker lets this guitar down; I play in a hardcore band, and this guitar suits it to a t, when the amp settings are enough to compensate for the weak-ish 'bucker. Its not the worst by a long way, but it could have a bit more grunt. This aside it really does produce some intense sounds, and the single coils are better than average for a Standard guitar. I play it through a line6 spider 4, using crunch with the humbucker and insane with the neck pickup. This works well and can produce versatile range of sounds. I also jam, playing stuff like ska or indie; and I find this works well too, it manages to keep up when jamming, and definitely better than most other Ibanezes however a good old-fashioned tele does the job much better. The Tremalo will never be as good as a locking system, and I'm glad its not trying to be, but just a solid way to add a bit more expression; but don't expect to be getting dimebag squeals out of it, you'll need a FR or a whammy pedal for that.

Overall I love it! For this price I was expecting a restore job, and to need to modify it; however it only looks like it needs a good pickup change and that's about it, top notch guitar. If this was stolen I would definitely buy another, or one higher up in this range. I would recommend this guitar to anyone, as it would suit almost all genres, but any metal-heads and hard-rockers out there this one is built for you. This guitar is awesome and well worth the money.

The guitar looks pretty solid, I would probably use it with no back-up if I was only going to be playing songs suited to it; however in practice I will probably bring along my trusty SG as well to cover any humbucker-ey gaps the Ibanez missed. However just in reliability terms I think it will do alright on its own. The strap buttons are more solid than most, and the hardware looks like it will stand the test of time. Even though its a thin guitar and looks like its pretty delicate, I think its pretty solid, and will do well.

The action is brilliant, nice and low which is exactly how I like it. The single coils are nice and can get a pretty good sound out of them, however the humbucker is lacking, but is easy to replace so its not too big of a deal. Other than that all the hardware and componants work well, no complaints from me.

I won't go into too much detail as several other people already have; but its set up with a tremolo bridge, very similar to a Standard strat, which allows you to whammy down but provides pretty solid tuning stability. Its a non-locking Bridge system, which is too be expected with a guitar that's not 100% focused on SHRED guitar. It comes with two stock single coils and a humbucker which can be toggled between using a 5-point selector, providing pretty good versatility. Just the one volume and tone knob each, however I've always found one of each is perfectly adequate, and any more just confuses things. The finish on mine is a grey colour, but I mostly see either amber or purple; I really like the finish, it looks good in pretty much any genre, and works well with the (super)strat style body.

Davy755
    It sounds like the Ibanez fanboys are in the house, with some good reviews.
    Heideck
    Very great guitar, I bought it 1 year ago and I still love it. It's just sad that there isn't a floating trem... that's why I'll buy another guitar with one but I'll keep this one for songs that doesn't need floyd rose or for when I don't want to use one. Also very great for live stage action, the color is really nice. Only problem with an orange flamed guitar, it need to match with the color or your shirt. Except that, you can hardly find better for the price
    destroyaz
    I think I'm gonna buy this guitar (in the lefty version)... coming from fender acoustic and an Ibanez grg170dxl the SA it seems to be the best choice.
    metalic186
    im getting this guitar in 'transparent lavender burst' it sounds sisi but it looks amazing!!!!
    lamb of dog
    Just ordered mine....couldn't find it in the local stores...hope it is every thing u guys have said it would be and more.....
    snaggleyoda
    I'm afraid I can't understand people who have issues with having to tune a guitar daily. What does it take 5 minutes maybe?