SAS32EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SAS32EX

Price paid: C$ 650

Purchased from: Long&McQuade

I mainly play Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal (Scar Symmetry, Solution.45, etc) And it suits the genre fairly well. I run this guitar through a Line 6 Spider Mark IV. I don't play any live shows, but it sure does rock out at home. This guitar can handle many sounds and genres, whether you're playing clean, crunch, or overdrive. It has a full sound, very clear, and basically no feedback (although it does depend on the volume you're playing at). But if you're looking to improve the guitar in any way, switch in some Seymour Duncan's. Overall, this guitar brings a lot of versatility to your playing no matter the genre.

For what I play, and what I need at the moment, this guitar perfectly suits my playing style. This guitar has great sound, durability, and looks fantastic. At the moment, I don't think there are any other guitars that I would prefer over this one. I do wish it had better tuning stability, and better pickups. But overall, It's everything a metal guitarist could ask for.

So far, it has been able to take all I have thrown at it. I don't do any gigs, as playing guitar is just a personal hobby. When tuning, you will have to tune for a while, as the SAT Pro II isn't exactly fond of new tunings. I don't know whether it would be reliable during gigs, seeing as I've gigged before (which I have previously mentioned). The finish seems to be lasting, but finger prints and such are moderately prominent when looked at with light reflecting on it. But overall, I haven't had any problems with it, and I don't foresee any in the future (hopefully).

The guitar came set up to drop C (usually is set up standard, but the tuning might have been tweaked or something. Everything was was flawless, when it came to the finish, or the hardware. I couldn't have asked for more. The action was perfect. I have had only one issue with it though. The bridge has pulled up, probably due to me switching the tunings and such. If you're planning on buying this guitar, make sure you don't plan on playing around with it.

This guitar is one of Ibanez's 2008 models. Made in China (honestly, what isn't made there). It has 22 medium frets, with a set in neck. This guitar also features very unique, and beautiful pearl inlay in the neck, and around the body. This guitar features an SAT Pro II bridge. It has a 3 way selector, Volume and Tone. This model also features the true-duo humbuckers, which give the option of a single or double coiled pickup configuration. The neck isn't one of their thinnest, but it doesn't impede my playing.

MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: The pick ups are passives which a lot of people may dislike but I generally prefer. I prefer passives and I think many guitarists prefer them too. I tried actives on Ibanez RGA72 and they didn't give that funky sound that you get with passives. You only get clean or distortion but not mild overdrive neck pickup sound. Maybe it's that that RGA72 has some crappy pickups but still if that's what actives are I'm not going to buy any guitar with actives.
    And what I meant with this is that passives=twang, actives=no twang. Good for distorted or clean but not for overdrive/twangy blues/funk sounds. If you play modern metal, you don't want that much twang but I like a bit twangy sound that my passive humbuckers give.