SAS32FM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SAS32FM

Purchased from: Pro Music Technology

I'm using this guitar with a trusty little Roland microcube at the moment, and even though I know it doesnt't do this guitar justice the 2 still make an impressive combination. The variety of sounds is really good, heavy sounds from the neck bucker or a nice twangy Fender Strat sound from the rear pickup (split) and everything that comes between. In total there's 8 different pickup selections (check the Ibanez site) Also, there's zero fret buzz from this guitar, which is nice.

I'm really happy about this guitar, at first I was worried it would be just another Ibanez metalhead axe, but it's much more than that. It can be anything you want it to be and that's why I love it. Just be aware that the trem has the same pro's and con's as a Floyd Rose though. I looked around for a seriously long time for a decent guitar at this price. And I'm glad I didn't just Rush out and buy an Epi Les Paul Standard or something. This is lighter, more comfortable & more versatile. Awesome piece of gear.

I definitely wouldn't take this to a live set until a tremsetter or some locking tuners are installed. But other than that it's pretty solid. Knocked it about a few times and it all seems fine. The strap buttons are nice, the shape of them means your strap wont just fall off on you like on a Strat or les paul.

As I got my Ibanez from a local music shop it was all set up and ready to go, the action is super low, fast adn easy playability. The finish is great, nice "trans lavender blue" which is more purple then it seems to look on most of the pictures on the net. I can't really fault anything about the setup or finish.

The Ibanez SAS32FM has 22 medium frets on a set in neck with abalone inlays and body binding. It features dual buckers and a 5 way, which lets you get a good variety of sounds from this guitar. Also, the volume control is a push/pull pot which splits the pickups in positions 3, 4 & 5. Compared to Les paul style guitars it weighs a hell of a lot less. The one problem with this guitar is that SAT pro bridge. It takes a long time to settle and not go out of tune everytime you use the trem, but installing a tremsetter later will sort that right out for me.

Tspoon_mcgaia
    (Side note)Im not sure they continue making the 32 model in DRS in the US, but I'm pretty sure that it has been discontinued in the UK. The 36 model looks much better, and if you love singlecoils then it's for you. The 32 model, however purple it may look, has the better tonal range. If you pull the volume pot (splitting the bridge 'bucker), and put the switch in position 4, then it splits both 'buckers giving you a nice sounding pair of singles. Great (Y).
    ayreon37
    Got this guitar a couple of weeks ago... it's my first electric, second guitar, and I've gotta say, I love this piece. I've got the SAS32FM, it looks almost identical to the picture... a bit darker. I've got a similar problem to everyone else with the tremolo, but a guitarist friend of mine said an extra spring in the back would fix that. I have a Pignose tube amp (it was cheap and sounds lovely compared to other cheap-ies) and I get a lovely vintage sound out of this baby. Keeps up with Opeth and classic rock both. No complaints but for the tuning!
    Mikey p
    To be fair, the tuning stability (on mine at least) is hardly is a big issue, and is sort of to be expected with a floating bridge and all. About being discontinued, Ibanez have changed the look of the model,from the look of their 2008 catalogue, and so if you've got one of these earlier ones you're lucky cos you cant get them anymore!
    langulo91
    i was just wondering which would be better the SAS32FM or the s520ex because i have the choice between the 2 but im not sure which one would be better for me...i play mostly metal and alternative
    Walshy200
    Langulo91 you be better off asking on the forums it takes ages for people to reply on review comments