SAS36FM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SAS36FM

Purchased from: Pinkston's Music Store

Very versatile, I was able to achieve amazing clean and distorted tone on the single coils, the middle pickup sounds the best. The True Duo humbucker is specially made so that when you pull the volume knob out it becomes a single coil. It actually does have a difference in sound. It sounds more like a single coil than a traditional coil tap, but not quite as authentic as a real single coil. Altogether the humbucker is very agressive, well suited for heavy distortion. Altogether this guitar sounds great and offers a wide variety of tones.

This guitar is only $580, its actually very cheap for its specs, but it in no way feels budget or cheap. I feel like I can use this guitar professionally. It's great for players that play a wide variety of styles. It can go from clean blues riffs to quick aggressive metal. I would say that I love it clean, it has a very responsive and dynamic sound, it seems like each not evolves as you hold it. That reminds me, it has great sustain, due to its mahogany body with set neck. I hope this review helps, it's almost 5:30 in the morning so I'm sure some parts are mispelled or perhaps don't make sense.

This is a beautiful guitar and it has a set neck so I personally would not thrash around the stage with it, but I'm sure it could if needed. The strap buttons were actually quite nice, but I immediatley installed strap locks. This guitar really has quality and I expct it to remain in great shape for a long time.

My guitar actual wasn't set up well, the action was respectable, but the intonation was horrible, I baught it from a local store so of course I brought it in and they set it up free of charge. When set up the action is perfect. Other than that there were no flaws, and most likely the intonation was messed up at the guitar store. The neck is not as thin as a Wizard II. It is very comfortable, and curved. Reminded me of a Les Paul, but a lot thinner.

The Ibanez SAS36FM is part of the '06 line of guitars; therefore there is not much documentation availible. It comes in 2 colors: transparent grey (TG, it is the most common) and dark red sunburst (RSB). Both finishes look amazing on the flamed maple top, I have the TG. Mahogany body, SA series shape (countoured edges with a flat back; very small). Flamed maple top (much more noticeable on the TG. S/S/H configuration (True Duo humbucker, which I will describe later in the review). Set neck (maple, 3 piece, 22 frets).

Miegol
    Yes! I bought it this weekend and I'm very pleased with it! \m/
    XPandaXBear
    i have this guitar and it is perfect, although it can go out of tune quite easily at times, maybe just the way i play. you can download the ibanez catalogue off the website i think, other colour is the same grain but grey/charcoal. also there is a pearl inlay around the body of the guitar if you look closely and it's beuatiful. 10/10[/quote] Mine did go out of tune in the beginning. like for drop C and now its okay
    hemi-san
    no all ibanez go out of tune easily. this guitar looks sweet i want the one in transparent black.
    CorkHunter
    my jetking is rarely out of tune i tune it once a month my sa36fm is really random, sometimes i have to tune it really really frequently and sometimes i never have to tune it
    XPandaXBear
    You nca get those tuning locks or somthing at some guiar shop. This guy I know reccomened that, but i blew off mycash on a metronome.
    Shwizzy
    oo i have had this guitar for about half a year now... i really love it, i havent had much experience with the thousands of other guitars lol but i can tell you this guitar is very versatile. I dont have a problem with tuning either. just once in a while it will go out of tune, but thats rare. Plus this guitar is freakin sexy!!
    medium mike
    Very nice looking guitar and the neck feels awesome. I have a high gain amp so I get a bit too much noise from the pickups though. But this guitar is so comfortable to play
    medium mike
    I own this guitar as well, have for around 6 months or so... it is not the one I went in the music store to buy when when I picked it up I found the fret board was very fast... the guitar plays itself pretty much. The guitar stays in tune, no problem there as well. Very nice guitar, go play one and I bet you leave the store with it...
    Jeroen HP
    Which one 's the best: a 'SAS-36 FM TL' or a 'SAS-32 FM DRS'?? I think the '36' is more beautiful then the '32'. But on the other side I think the '32' is better. Or maybe not, I don't know...
    ivan987
    Got it a week ago, I wanted extreme versatility and that's what I got. Someone from the shop messed with it0s truss rod so I had to do a new setup and now it's great, action is low, neck is relatively fast and very comfortable. The tone is not as fat as I want it to be, but it's great because of the versatility, it can do very beautiful cleans and a nice distortion, ranging from blues-rock tone to even metal.
    ivan987
    unknownpunkrock wrote: does anybody know what the difference between this and the 32 is?
    Well, the difference is in the pickup configuration. SAS36FM has two single coils and a humbucker in bridge position, while the SAS36FM has only two humbuckers. I think SAS36FM is a better choice because it's more verstile (neck single coil pickup does great cleans), humbuckers are better if you play with a lot of distortion, but then I just use my bridge pickup.
    matt likes axes
    ive got the SAS32FM and its pretty darn cool =] the same as the one in the picture but with a neck humbucker and and a bridge humbucker, no middle pickup i got mine for 230 from a local store in portsmouth, (www.nevadamusic.co.uk) but i got it a couple years ago and they no longer sell the model, however they do have the SAS36FM there so you might want to check it out if you live in the area =] btw as some people have mentioned it does go out of tune occasionly, but thats the price you pay for a tremolo bridge, if you want a guitar that stays in tune forever get a les paul lol
    jonas1452
    i ve got those guitar, i think it looks great and has a very good sustain, but the bridge isn't very good at all.
    kyle_adams
    kyle_adams
    kyle_adams wrote: they have the trans grey one at a pawn shop here for 179. i'm gonna pawn my epiphone g-400 and then pay for the rest myself
    oh and i forgot, the one in the pawnshop had a wilkinson tremolo, which makes it even more of a steal
    samtottmanwanab
    yer its f***ing sweet but i am wondering is it as thin as the s520x because my mtae bought one of those recently and tht is sweet and very thin
    glenndo4000
    pocallaghan2002
    This is an awesome guitar. Gorgeous AND sounds great. All for a pretty reasonable price (I paid 662 CAD)
    OpposingForce
    I think this looks like a good guitar. I might buy it (once I get the money later this summer)
    foundation_7
    but i have never gotten whats the difference between just regular pick ups and humbuckers
    zark1989
    Very nice guitar. Ibanez is always one to turn to for a comfortable bass or guitar.
    the spiker
    If I were to buy another Ibanez, I might end up getting this very guitar, or an SZ520 something or other. Looks like a very nice guitar. I love how good it looks.
    Green_Jelly
    I was looking for this guitar, but I didn't feel like buying it through the internet, so I bought an SZ520FM. Maybe when I got some money again.