SAS36QM-CBS review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SAS36QM-CBS

Purchased from: PMT oxford

This guitar sounds great whatever sound I want it to make. Blues, rock, metal and even the experimental stuff could be done, as soon as I got rid of the Bridge humbucker, which really wasn't anything special (replaced with a Duncan Dimebucker, much better!) Apart from that one hitch, perfect.

This guitar is like my baby. if I lost it, I'd get a new one in a heartbeat. It plays great for everything and beats the hell out of the Gibson Les Paul my dad has! If it had a neck humbucker, it would be perfect, but I'm planning to put a DiMarzio hot rail in the neck anyway, so it's all good. I compared this guitar with all other epiphone, prs and Fender guitars around the same price, and they just can't keep up with the perfect cleans, the crunchy dist and the full-blown overdrive this guitar can deal with. 10 out of 10, every single time.

Live playing: played at the local O2 academy, played at local events, no problem whatsoever. Hardware: strap buttons are a bit off, but that's easily fixed with a new one for about a fiver. can't complain. Just that brdige pickup again really that was any sort of problem. Dependability: every time. The electronics are solid, and its never messed up on me live. Finish: only a couple of scratches, but they're all tiny, and don't even begin to penetrate the finish.

Perfect straight out the shop apart from that Bridge pickup. Great action, great tone, and the single coils have that sweet sound I've been spending years looking for. No build issues, great wood (mahogany and quilted maple), and these 8 months I've had it there hasn't really been a single problem with it. And to the Bridge pickup. It was great when I first got it, but it began to fade away pretty quickly, and after like 3 months it couldnt handle anything more than medium distortion without some serious sound problems. I'm gonna give this an eight because the Bridge pickup was a huge disappointment, but I can't find any other issues with it as of yet.

Bought this guitar about 8 months ago from PMT in oxford city centre. got it for 400 quid in quilted maple (rrp 440 pounds), got a free strap, gigbag and a pick holder with like 20 picks. It has a superstrat-style body, with a Savage mop inlay around the body, and moon Dot inlays. Bridge is a sat pro Bridge with tremolo. SSH pickup configuration, with the Bridge bucker coil tapped (ill come back to this pickup later). Pretty good for what I paid to be honest.

Johnneeey
    guitarmazdur
    Johnneeey wrote: so...Im going to buy a second guitar and already have a jp50 can you compare its playability(neck and stuff)to this ibanez??
    YES i play a jp50 and its like the best guitar ever. SO much better than ibanez, right? Music Man rules.
    jadon13
    hey, so i'm looking to probably buy one of these, you review making me want one even more (great review btw). So if your saying that you would replace the neck pickup with a humbucker as well isn't that just an SV? because i play about the same genres as you adding jazz to mine and if it sounds like a SV if it had 2 humbuckers and a single i might just go for the SV... thnks!
    rv_phoenix
    Very good review from an experienced fellow. It sounds like a great guitar, despite the bridge pickups problem. Is it so bad? Why did it happen in the first place? This model seemed a gem, at 400 quid. But, anyway, adding a Di Marzio Hot Rail on the neck and another humbucker on the bridge, instead of the defective one, could turn it into a unique guitar. (If you like experiencing, could I suggest a PAF in the briodge position? You could get an amazing variety of tones, out of a 400 quid guitar!) Just lovely. Congratulations for playing on such a fine axe.
    rokkit
    i got one of these used for 100 after swapping on oldflying v i had, and its amazing. it doesnt really suit my style, but it plays like a dream