SHRG1Z review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SHRG1Z

Price paid: € 700

Purchased from: A friend of mine

The sound is what you'd expect from a high-end Ibanez RG, despite the fact that it uses passive pick-ups the guitar sounds very good, with heavy riffs sounding big and crunchy, and solos sounding clear and without noisy sound that you would not like to hear. I was using my beloved Marshall JVM-250C on full gain and the sound was good and clear. The guitar is not that much noisy reaching the sound qualities of a good Ibanez JEM guitar. I mostly play J-metal, J-rock, thrash metal, techno-goth, progressive metal and even technical-death metal and this guitar hasn't disappointed me. On clean mode the sound is at least passable, so I wouldn't really recommend it for such a thing (I personally like going full Necrophagist on this guitar, in the sounds of extreme unction). Pretty nice for the sound department too.

I play many style but this is my main industrial-metal guitar because of it's overall style and sound. I've been using this guitar since 2009 and play with it everyday, and it still feels like a brand new guitar. The thing I'd like to have though on this guitar is to replace my pickups with an EMG 81 and EMG 85 set, but is still very nice sounding. If it were stolen I'd just hunt down the thief, but if it were lost I'd just buy another one. The guitar is very expensive these days and very few have passed though auction sites and with very high prices too (sometime going as high as $13,000), so the price I paid is actually great and I'm very happy about it. If you like H.R. Giger's artworks and you want a beautiful instrument for metal music, this is an amazing choice, which unfortunately, will break your bank. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

The first thing I did is to put strap-locks on the guitar in order to make it more reliable, I take good care of my instruments so I don't know how this guitar would react to a sudden bang on the wall, but it looks very sturdy, it's mahogany body is light and I like using it on live gigs and especially when I play industrial music since the guitar screams for sounds of Nine Inch Nails, Ministry and more electric music such as Noisia and Combicrhist. I always take a back up guitar with me but there was no need for using one so far and the guitar is really reliable and the finish is just a head-turner, since many people ask me about it after shows.

The guitar was set from my friend before I bought it from him, and it was set very nice since he is a guitar technician. For the record, I actually asked him to tell me his initial experience with it and here are his worlds "My SHRG1Z was set pretty descend, the action was a little high for my taste of music and my playing style, but I got easily around it and set it as low as possible, the frets were buzzing on the middle of the neck, which I also fixes easily. The bridge was actually set very nice and it needed just a little more adjusting to be perfect (something I also fixed). The finish was amazing throughout the guitar with it's distinct engraved graphic, a piece of ART that very few guitars have these days and I really like it." Myself, I put some 11 cauge Ernie Ball strings to make it even better and now it plays like a dream.

The most obscure and strange instrument that I own, the Ibanez SHRG1Z is a Ibanez model from the H.R. Giger limited edition models, with this in particular being the rarest of the series (with only about 2,000 made). Mine is one of the first models, made back in 2007 in Korea. It has an Ibanez Wizard II neck with 22 jumbo frets, and special made fret inlays on a high quality rosewood fret-board on a 5 piece maple neck. The body is metal-coated mahogany with laser-engraved graphics. The body style is your ordinary Ibanez RG style. The bridge is a ZR tremolo with passive electronics. The controls given are 1 volume and 1 tone knob, with also a 5-way switch for the pick-ups. The tuners are Ibanez locking tuners and the hardware uses an antique Vintage silver color that matches the whole guitar. Included with the guitar is a nice and sturdy hard case. Overall, pretty good.

Timon 95
    Isn't is more like the S-series from Ibanez? seeing that the jack input in on the front, not on the sides, and the characteristic pickup switch..
    darkhalomusic.p
    There were less than 200 made. It is an S-series within etched zinc and graphite armour. The zinc gives the dimarzios a dark metallic timbre. I run it through a Carvin Legacy I and the matching 2x12 cab with it's superlative Celestion vintage 30s. Includes a certificate of authenticity signed by Giger and resides in a black leather case. The trade price was close to 2500 euros (retail 3500) when they were released...so you got a great deal.
    elias van sider
    Thanks for the extra info,but other than the novelty that this guitar is an item with the certificate of H.R giger and the art on it,i think it's kind of a rip-off for what you get on the hardware department.
    Rust_E_Stringz
    One word Aliens! Who in the freak doesn't like the Aliens movie series? H.R was the designing artist for the movie series yo!
    logicbdj
    Yes, I agree. I gave to a friend, so it's her problem now, lol.
    Rust_E_Stringz
    did you say gave...my heart hurts for you man. Gotta ask does it bite you in the azz now that you think about it?
    andrey.dyumaev
    Shoulda been MIJ... I mean, c'mon, Ibanez, awesome artwork and looks to kill, most unique cool-looking instrument in your lineup, but MADE IN KOREA = WTF?! Make that s.hit at FujiGen Gakki like your real guitars!! It's kinda sad when it looks miles cooler than anything else in the store, but build-, hardware-, & sound-wise, cannot hold a candle to an old late 80s/early90s Japanese Saber ...in other words: PRICE NOT JUSTIFIABLE.
    logicbdj
    Nope... it was a friend who really liked it. I owned it for a bit... never played it (I have 12 guitars, three of which are custom made).
    LightxGrenade
    The artwork on the body while interesting just doesn't appeal to me but those inlays, thats both incredible looking and very very clever. I usually never care about the inlays (most of the time I think they're eye-soars) but wow that is just so cool looking!