SZ320 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SZ320

Purchased from: Swee Lee Singapore

I chose this because I wanted to play music with heavy distortion. This guitar fits my demands perfectly. I am running the guitar through a Line 6 Spider II and the distortion sounds heavy. The distortion that comes from the bridge and the neck are completely different, so you can get two very distinct distortion sounds by selecting the pickups, a crunchy and a heavy one. With Duncan designed Ibanez humbuckers, I think that the guitar will not lose to a Jackson guitar in terms of distortion. Since it has two humbuckers, the clean song that comes out from it is very warm. So far, the guitar is never noisy.

I am an Ozzy, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath and Children Of Bodom fan. So, you can pretty understand why I need a guitar with heavy distortion. This guitar can surely provide me with the kick I get when I play songs by my favourite bands. I have been playing for one year and I used to own an Aria Fat Strat. When you ask me which guitar is better, I would say that the Ibanez SZ320 beats the Aria Fat Strat by miles. Before I bought this, maybe I should have asked the dude down there at the guitar shop to help me set my action a little higher. If it were stolen, I would certainly hope to get one again. The guitar is also so light that you can swing the guitar around and jump around on stage wildly without any problems. The string system is also very easy to use. Before I picked this guitar, I tried an Ibanez Iceman, an RG and a Jackson Dinky. Even though the Jackson guitar sounds better, it just beats the Ibanez SZ320 by a little. However, the Jackson guitar costs S$500 more than the Ibanez SZ320 so I think I have made an excellent choice in getting an Ibanez SZ320 rather than a Jackson guitar. Maybe this guitar should have 24 frets so that I could be able to any metal songs. In my last review with my Line 6 Spider II 30, I talked about my dream of getting a good guitar that will make me sound godly. The Ibanez SZ320 is the one godly guitar I have found and I am truly satisfied with it.

This guitar is built like a tank and no matter how you smash it, I don't think it will break so easily (even though I do not dare to try). The guitar works perfectly live but because it does not have a locking system, you have to treat it with care. I made a mistake during my live gig because I played in an air-conditioned room and the strings went out of tune. Moreover, I knocked my guitar's tuning knobs and the G string went a few steps out of tune. These problems would not have existed if you had a locking system. The strap buttons are solid. Even though the holes on my strap are huge, the guitar has never fallen off from my strap. I also think that the finish looks like it can last and if you use it in a gig, I think you can rely on this guitar without any backup.

The action was a little too low when I got it, so there is a little bit of fret buzz around the first and the second fret of the high E and B strings. However, I have yet to set the action back. Other than that, the guitar is absolutely flawless. The pickups are perfectly adjusted and the bridge is properly routed. The finish looks great and there is nothing wrong with the looks of the guitar.

The Ibanez SZ320 is a Korean made guitar with 22 frets that are rather huge. The guitar has a maple/mahogany and a fretboard that is made of rosewood. My SZ320 has a body that is sunburst in colour and looks like the PRS Custom 22. Mine comes with a Gibraltar III bridge, so it does not have locking system. The pickups are Duncan designed Ibanez pickups both at the neck and at the bridge and it has a 3 way selector with a volume control knob and two tone control knobs. It does not come with any other accessories so I have to buy my own gig bag.