SZ320 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SZ320

Purchased from: Ted Heberts

I am a metal head and have true versitility. I play alt. Metal, and because of that I need a guitar that is great with distortion and better with clean tones. I use Fender amplifiers and Ibanez Tonelok FX along with Dunlop Expression pedals. It is a really quiet guitar when you want it to be tamed and is really loud when you want it to be loud. When I play clean I play through the neck pickup and when I play dirty as hell I play through the bridge when I do rhythm and through the neck when I do leads. It has a real warm sound quality and an even better sustain. It is really good if you like to do lead guitar, you can really do some damage like squeals and pitch harmonics easily.

I play alt. rock/ alt. metal. I feel it's a very good match. I have been playiong for the better part of 5 years now. I own an Ibanez SZ520GAB and an Ibanez SZ520BB. If I could relive this expiriance I'd ask "What's the catch?" 'cause I got this guitar for $250 and it was new and had almost equal or even more quality then Gibson Les Pauls nowadays. If one of my SZ's got stolen I'd be really depressed and wouldn't stop looking for it. I love everything about this guitar, and dislike nothing about it and my fav. feature about it is the overall appearance. Before buying it I compared it to a Les Paul at a rival music store. I chose the Ibanez simply cause I'm getting more bang for my buck with this guitar. I wish this guitar had a flaw so I could actually say it has this wrong with it. I'm kidding, this guitar in my eyes is perfect.

I play Ibanez almost exclusively, when I play live I don't feel it neccessary to have a spare guitar present. I have played out with only my Ibanez SZ 320 and must say it held up and didn't fail on me. I can only see one flaw with the SZs there are no flaws. I do more then depend on it, I live by it. I'd not only use it with out a backup, I'd change the strings 10 minutes before the show and then play with fresh strings. I actually have done that. This guitar is built like a tank and I hope it last alot longer then Strat's.

I'd say the guiatr was set up very well( but the again I'm totally bias because I really like Ibanez). The action on this guitar is ridiculously remarkable. The pickups were a lil shy of what I hoped for but I just adjust them to the right height and they were like sex. It had a slight dent in the body but it didn't make me go the other way on getting it.

It was made in 2003 when they had the wide head stocks and I believe it is made in Korea. Has 22 medium sized frets and is a rosewood bound fret board with abolone dot inlays and mahogony body. It has a plain maple top with a solid black finish. It is a 3 pieces mahogony guitar. It is remninent of an S series guitar from Ibanez. Has a gibralter 3 bridge and is a through body staggered stringing style. real good sustain. There are 2 volume controls and 1 tone control. The pickups are Duncan Ibanez open coil humbuckers. There is one in the Neck and one in the bridge. Didn't include anything else, what I saw is what I got.