SZ320 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SZ320

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play rock and metal, and this guitar works well for both. I've used a couple different amps with this guitar, Marshall MG100HDFX, Crate V-18, Peavey Windsor, 5150... Overall, you can get some really nice tones out of this guitar. The stock pickups are actually really good and the neck pickup is nice and warm on the clean channel, the bridge pickup is very suitable for metal, palm-muted, pinch harmonic riffs.

Perfect match for the rock and metal I play, but this guitar should be versatile enough to work for other genres as well. I own a couple other Ibanez models, and an LTD and I've been playing guitar for a few years now, bass even longer. I would definitely buy this guitar again if something happened to it, maybe one of the higher models with the inlays. There is nothing that I hate about this guitar, I would have to say the neck is my favorite feature. It plays smoother than all of my other guitars, maybe not as fast as my RG though. I compared it to a few other guitars, LTD's in it's price range, etc. Glad I chose this one! The only thing I would improve on, if I had to choose, would be to put active pickups in it from the factory. But the stock pickups sound great!

I have used this guitar many times Live, and I would definitely use it without a backup. The hardware on the guitar is very solid, as is the finish. I always keep mine in a case, so the finish is still perfect. Strap buttons were fine, but I put straplocks on all my guitars no matter what. Another small detail I like about the guitar: the knobs. Nickel or chrome finish, but they are like traction knobs and are very nice.

Guitar was almost perfectly set up from the factory. I have the guitar in the black finish, and the neck is also painted; makes the guitar look even better with the set neck. I use this guitar for low tunings, drop B and drop A, so I put heavier strings, and made a truss rod adjustment. But it was set up well for Standard playing. Pickups were great from the factory, and I don't plan on swapping them out. Electronics work great... no noise what'soever in the knobs or switch.

I'm not sure what year this guitar was made, I've owned it for a couple years now and I bought it new at Musicians Friend. It has 22 medium frets and mine is the black finish with chrome hardware. Body is made from mahogany, with a maple top. Thru-body design, set neck, Gibraltar III bridge. Has dual Seymour Duncan Designed humbucking pickups, each with a volume knob, and a master tone knob. The switch on this guitar is a 3-way toggle, and has a very quiet operation.

gorkyporky
    I got this guitar yesterday, and i already love it. It sounds better then my RG550, and is a joy to play. I can get all the different tones i want from it mostly just by fideling with the pickup selector and the knobs. And the Duncan/Ibanez pups have an excelent sound, much better than the Infinity pickups i have on the 550. And it was less then half the price!