SZ520 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SZ520

Purchased from: Tom Lee

The sound is absolutely fantastic. I play many contrasting styles, and it fits for each of them. I have a Marshall Mode Four Guitar Amplifier Full Stack with MF350 and 2 MF400 Cabinets and since I payed almost $3000 USD for it, it definetly brings out the sound in this guitar. It's got a rich and full sound, and it's very, very clean.

I have one of the most expensive guitars you'll ever find, a Gibson Custom Shop Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul Electric Guitar, and as much as I hate to say it, the Ibanez SZ520 sounds like its one of these. A $600 dollar guitar sounding like a $4,100 guitar. I have to compliment Ibanez, this is perhaps their greatest guitar. If anyone stole this guitar, I would hunt them down and shoot them. This guitar is so great. The bright blue finish is absolutely wicked. A lot of people have complimented it for looking so great, and some of my friends think that it's a $10,000 dollar guitar and refuse to play it!

I play in a band thats been performing for 3 years now. The guitar looks like its gonna last me atleast 10 years. The strap buttons are solid, but I advise you get strap locks. I once had a Mexican Fender Strat that dropped onto the ground because I was playing it and the strap slipped off the button. I've been playing guitar for over 5 years, trust me, get strap locks. The guitar looks like its Bullet proof. It looks brand new even though I've had it for almost six months.

The action was great, everything was set up to my liking. All the pickups were adjusted perfectly. The guitar didn't really have any flaws but I do have to complain about the strings that came with it. Buy new ones. They last forever since the guitar is made so the strings can last a long time. But I bought a pack of Elixer Strings anyways.

This is a 2004 model made in Korea I believe. It has 21 frets, and is a solid top. This guitar is all mahogany for body and neck. The finish is quilted top. Pickups are double humbuckers - one at the neck and one at the bridge. The bridge is string-thru body design that helps strings last longer because there aren't much of an edge force on the strings. There are 3 controls given, volume, brightness, and tone.