SZ520 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SZ520

Purchased from: Guitar center

The sound to this guitar is really unique. This guitar can really play a wide variety of different things, I play mostly metal (Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, Lamb Of God). So it sounds great on that, but I took my guitar to the real test, I played stairway to heaven on a clean channel through my amp, I went to a nice guitar store, picked up a guitar that was about 5000 dollars, played Stairway To Heaven on that, and I'd say my Ibanez sounded a lot better. My guitar instructor loves country music, you know, with the annoying string bends, I let him play my guitar, and he sounded great on it. The sound is unique on this guitar.

This guitar is simply amazing. For its price and the quality, simply amazing. I don't see how a person can pay double the price for a thousand dollar Gibson that sounds just as good (if not better) as the Ibanez. This is a great match for my style of music. If this guitar was stolen, I would seriously call the fbi, have them hunt down the loser who stole my guitar and demand that that same person who stole my guitar bought me 10 of the same guitars he just stole from me. Again, this guitar beats any Gibson Les Paul any day, for the price, and the sound and quality.

This guitar is solid and beefy. I accedently smashed it into walls many times and nothing happened. But, another warning. You cannot break the neck on this guitar, since it is a through the body neck. the guitar in other words is in one peice all tegether, so it would be a great loss if you broke the neck off. I use Strap locks on ALL of my guitars. It's worth the extra 10 dollars to get them locked in so you can do all of the wild "Steve Vai" tricks you wanted. Yes, this guitar was built to last.

The guitar set up from the factory was great, however, I must warn all of you Who choose to buy this guitar, if you use drop tunnings on a built through neck guitar, Over time the neck will bend due to the lack of tension created from the strings, if you wish to play dropped tuning music a lot, you might want to get the neck adjusted by a professional guitar repairsman. there is nothing you can do to stop it if you play in dropped tunings, this guitar was still in great condition when it was bought and in great condition to this day.

This guitar is relatively new. It was made in 2005, Korea. 22 frets. Maple woods, with birdseye quilted finish, which looks amazing. Has the 3-way switch tone selecter, and the 3 knobs for volume.

Synister
    the feel and neck configuration is out satnding mix it with a line 6 and the true sound of metal will arise from this korean made wonder
    dafrimpster
    vote-claypool
    this guitar kicks large amounts of ass. i got mine left handed in gold amber burst (only color i could get). beautiful guitar, and built like a tank. ive smacked it against a few things here and there and it didnt really dent or anything. the stock pickups sound fine, although i did but a seymour duncan dimebucker in the bridge. the tuners stay in tune all day, and the gibralter III bridge feels great, no sharp edges. when i got this i also played a left handed gibson les paul. i dont know if it was the strings or what, but the les paul didnt have shit on this guitar. it was obvious to me 5 minutes after picking this up which i was gonna go with. all and all, this is the best guitar ive played. i also have a jackson dk2 and a schecter omen 7, and neither can produce the sound this one can. only drawback was no floyd rose tremolo, but with quality this good, ive learned to live without it. get this guitar, now !
    Mario-Guitar
    Wadcaster
    I thought my les paul was to much for my baby girl so i bought her/me/her/me/her M E the SZ and she plays Gibson now.The guitar kick balls.Bought it for my 17 year old Daughter after deciding my Les Paul customized from gold to chrome with duncan 59s and planet wave tunes,vintage cavity covers heavy chrome and a trick or 2 now creamed was to much for her first lesson.She used the paul on her first lesson and i left town with the SZ520 QM purple quilt. It rocks for Forien and i rate it 7 1/2 unset up.It will be a killer rock machine.Wish the fret wood was anything else but ROCK ONWARD CASTING THEM WHERE EVER I GO! Wad
    Landon54
    Does the 2007 model have inlays all the way along the fretboard or just on the 12th fret? And whats the difference between medium and large frets. I have a wanna be Strat, so would it be similar?
    Maharg
    They are similar fret sizes to strat copies. I have I believe 2007 model and it has fret inlays on 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc... to 21
    adamjowens
    i think the QM has something extra, maybe the binding round the outside of the body and neck. Mine has no fret markings apart from the flame on the twelth. check it out in my pics on my profile.
    RyonShallPerish
    Mario-Guitar wrote: dafrimpster : Someone mentions above that it is neck through body. That's not correct. It has a set neck, not neck through. Still a great guitar for the money. I love it as long as I don't play my old Kramer EE pro2 right before I pick up the Ibanez... i saw it in the store yesterday and it WAS neck through body anyway,,, it played terific!
    its the 820 with the neck thru option.....and in reply to reagues and adamjowens the qm stands for quilted maple.....they also do a flame maple awesome geeeetar for the money peace