SZ720 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SZ720

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

From metal, classic rock and cleans, the H/H split pickup config in the chunky mahogany body can get anything. I have played this guitar through a Vox AC30/6TB which sounded very creamy and lush. The Peavey 6505 got high squeeling and chunky distortion no problems and the starfield does everything else. This guitar can do absolutly anything but as I said before, the pickups need changing for a nice high quality passive set for this JB/Jazz or the like.

Since I started playing guitar 11 years ago I have had a lot of guitars, I don't think that any of them have shown the value of this one, the reliability and quailty in manufacture are amazing. If this guitar didn't have abalone it would be perfect in every way. This guitar comes in at the same price as a low end ESP/Jackson and Epiphone gutiars but to get a guitar which matches up to this you would need to spend a whole lot more, think ESP LTD H-1000 which is nearer the 1000 mark. I would definatly buy this guitar again if it was stolen, and as said abouve, I may be getting another anyway. For what it is, this guitar can't be beeten (price range, reliability, tone).

As this guitar has no fancy parts on it (mainly no floating trem) it doesnt't have much which can go wrong on it, the tuning is very stable and I trust this more than my other more expensive gutiars. I may be buying another if I can get my hands on it, or the new replacement model for some alternate tuneings as I am so impressed.

The only changes I made to the guitar was the intonation and to adjust the pickup heights (while the pickups were stock). Apart from thoes two things the gutiar was set up perfectly from the shop. The finish is amazing, the see thru black flame however I am not a fan of abalone and this is always there shieing at me. The inlays are very different, I like them a lot, much more than the inlays on the new replacement for this guitar (SZ520 I think).

The SZ720 is a no frills, nothing will go wrong, easy player but with distinctive looks, The string-thru body bridge, set thru neck, simple H/H pickup config and super Strat shape make it suitable for anything. The only thing I changed and would suggest everyone change are the pickups which lack defenition, I put a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck. If you are looking for an all arround do anything, won't mess up guitar, this is for you.

ive got the catalouge for ibanez now and there really is no difference in between 720s and 320s now they both even come with seymour duncan specially designed pickups but i live in aus though so it could be different for other countries
    medium mike
    I am wondering the same as 1232.. Is the only difference the inlays??? The 720 and 520 look the same except finish and inlays
    PyroX7
    I have one, it is quite the amazing guitar, but just so you, know, the 520 and 720 are the same, excluding the border and fretboard inlays. The 320 features a different bridge, though, I believe.
    metalhead64
    I have owned one of these for almost 2 years and I'm not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon - if ever. Very playable, very durable and simple to keep nicely set up. A super guitar for the money.
    JFournier
    I just bought the sz720 with the black and smoky finish and I was wondering what amps or pedals suit this awsome guitar because my peavey Bandit 112 sounds like I need an upgrade. I would like something that gives a good metal crunch and a decent bluesy clean setting. I am currently using the Zoom G1 (I think) and it lack serious quality. I was just wondering if it's the amp or the pedal I should be upgrading to achieve desired sound even though both are in pretty good condition.
    nofishxing
    I've owned this guitar for four years and JUST bought a case for it (yeah, shut up, i'm cheap) but the guitar is still in fantastic condition. That should tell you something about the quality. My input jack comes loose often as well, but thats literally the only con to the axe. Absolutely beautiful with a great feel and sound. Would recommend to anyone.
    splitshot37
    I own this guitar. 9.9/10. Like the first review says, the input jack has a tendency to get loose, but it isn't that big of a deal. I love this guitar and i can get any sound out of it. Plays BEAUTIFULLY
    snakeman1986
    1232: u said that there is basically no difference between the 720 and the 320 but there is. The 320 is all mahogany body. 520 and 720 both have maple tops with mahogany body. 520 is quilted and 720 is flamed. I realize that was almost 4 years ago when you typed that but I just wanted to clear it up for someone who may read these comments.
    welder99
    Thanks for last post even though its 4 years on it was helpful to me as i bought a SRZ720TG with a flamed top it took me hours of searching on net for exact name of this guitar which i purchased from cash converters with Ibanez case + epiphone amp for $600 aussie bucks i also know it was made in Korea july 05 ,its a pressie for my 21 yr old son who prefers metal music so it was sheer coincidence that i chose an axe preferred by metal users ,as i know absolutely nothing about guitars .PS it is in mint condition no chips or scratches ,so i hope he doesnt flog it for a w/end on the Kronic ha ha
    wangbow
    I bought this guitar used. Its amazing. I wish it didn't have the wear that it does, but it still rocks. Also, a guy from My Darkest Days uses this guitar.