SZR520 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SZR520

Purchased from: Guitar Guitar

I rend to play rock and blues and this guitar suit's that perfectly, crank up the distortion and it makes a loud metal guitar though. I play through a DigiTech RP150 into a Line 6 Spider III 30. The pickups cope with anything and produce very warm tones with excellent sustain. Ibanez describe the sound as fat, and that's just what it is. There are no unwanted sounds from this guitar.

I am extremely impressed with this guitar and for the money, it is far richer and rockier than any Epiphone LP, and quite frankly, looks so much better. It is a great rock instrument. I also have an Ibanez SA260FM and this is beefier and louder by miles, though the 260 is also a good guitar. If it were stoleen or lost, I'd need to track down another import, as the non UK colours are much better. My only complaint is that Ibanez did not carry on the colour scheme on the front of the headstock.

I am not a Live player, merely an enthusiastic amatuer and have been playing for about 20 years. This guitar thoughis solidly built and have no concerns that it could not withstand gigging. The finish is excellent and I doubt it would wear easily. Locking strap nuts would obviously need t be fitted, though this is a minor point.

I bought the guitar direct from the shop and it was set up excellently, though needed to put 9's on rather than the 10's that were on it, and had t make no adjustments at all. Pick ups are perfectly set and so far, in a week, I have found no flaws at all with any electronics or hardware.

Chinese manufacture, Mahogany Neck and a flamed maple top on a Maple/mahogany body. Mine is a US import finished in tranparent Blue Burst and looks stunning. The body style is heavier than other Ibanez Guitars but is shaped to fit the body. It is fitted with a Gibraltar Bridge and strung through the body of the guitar. Two volume controls and a tone control with a 3 way Switch. The pick-ups are Ibanez NeoZ.